OPINION: Free tire rotation w/ a paid service

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my very strong opinion, tire rotations are completely unnecessary. You got perfectly even wear on the back tires and then you move those tires up front where they are subject to uneven wear from being out of alignment. So now instead of having two good tires and two bad tires, all four tires are bad!

Nobody I know likes doing tire rotations for free. Wheels/tires are heavy and bulky (especially on newer vehicles where 20s and such are the norm), they are dirty, it's generally at least 20 lug nuts to deal with, and it's still time that could be spent on something that's not free.

There are plenty of opportunities to get free rotations, but it will probably either be treated as an upsell opportunity, or you will be told it will be an all day wait if the shop is busy with paid work. Ultimately, nothing is free...especially not tire rotations, because nobody likes doing them for free.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
^

Most people don't know the car is out of alignment until after the tires are ruined!

I know. I saw lots of neglected cars when I worked on consumer cars for a living. I always preached to customers the importance of being aware of proper care and maintenance of their car. Some listened, most didn't.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I never rotate tires. When they wear out I replace them.
I don't like the wear and tear rotating tires creates on my vehicles and if you have to pay for it, then its false economy. Shops have high overhead so I have no issues with them charging.
I just avoid services like that and I get great life out of my tires.

Same here. Always get plenty of life out of my tires.

The vehicle sitting in bay and using up time costs way more the. $29 for each oil change. That is a loss leader to get you in the door with hope of doing extras or needing repair.

Simple business 101....

Discount Tire will rotate AND balance if tires were purchased there of at ANY other Discount Tire or American Tire
All for FREE. And you can watch.
lol.gif

I use Town Fair Tire here in the east because they included free rotation,flat repair,snow tire changeover,alignment and guaranteed lowest price,including Tire Rack! What is there not to like!

Try and DIY just once. It's easy and satisfying just like an oil change. Takes far less time than driving there and back and then waiting in their ridiculous lobby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'm of the opinion that tire rotations should be free IF the car's already on the lift getting a paid service done, e.g., oil change, brakes, and etc. If you walk in off the street for just a tire rotation, then of course you have to pay the regular fee. I get flyers in the mail from shops advertising free rotations w/oil changes, but never from dealerships. My local Honda dealer charges $29 and it doesn't matter if you're getting another service done. I think this is pretty ridiculous; car's already lifted, tech has an air gun at his side to do the job quickly, so why charge for this?

Why should the technician be expected to work for free? Technicians are paid by the job, not by the hour. For instance, an oil change generally pays 0.3 hours and you are expected to lift the car, change the oil, inflate all tires (except spare), top off the washer fluid, check all lights, test the battery and inspect the engine/cabin air filters. 0.3 hours (or 18 minutes) is rarely enough time to do all of those items well; if a technician was to also perform a tire rotation, the entire job would definitely take longer than 18 minutes and the technician would not be paid for their time. (Tire rotations usually pay an extra 0.2 or 0.3 hours).

Shops advertising free tire rotations are usually looking for brake jobs to do. They are also the same ones that will sell you a brake job at 4mm.

'Imo' any tire retailer worth it's salt should do rotations for free as part of the sale. Perhaps not balance included because that requires extra time and specialized equipment to accomplish. Really unless a vibration noted latter isn't needed.

As for dealer doing it FOC with other service, not likely to happen. Too much overhead and IME with dealer services it's pretty much take it or leave it. Many now do seem to advertise rotations as part of package deal promos with an oil and filter change.

My suggestion would be with next tire purchase try to find an establishment that includes LT rotation as part of the sale.

I have a couple of thoughts:

First, I think anyone in the car repair business can profit by offering free tire rotations. That provides the opportunity to not only inspect the tires, but examine the vehicle for potential repairs, such as brakes. Plus, it gets the consumer used to the idea of returning to "that friendly dealer who's not trying to rip me off".

But there is a downside and that is that there will be situations where consumers will complaint about this "free" service and the hassle might not be worth the potential profit.

Then there is work quality - I buy at DT for selection and price and they are easy to get a replacement or adjustment from. But prolly 1/3 of the time some young dude does not balance well - and I end up going to Goodyear to pay them for a proper balance, and they still let me in the service bay so we look at brakes and all the underside together...
These guys do way more overall good work on vehicles - unfortunately are not competitive on tire price.
(They carry several brands - just don't have volume leverage).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
In my very strong opinion, tire rotations are completely unnecessary. You got perfectly even wear on the back tires and then you move those tires up front where they are subject to uneven wear from being out of alignment. So now instead of having two good tires and two bad tires, all four tires are bad!

Ehh, thats sort of true, but only in cases where you're in a pickup truck or a mustang or something with a solid axle. Anything with independently rear suspension is going to wear tires differently.

In your example, lets use some arbitrary mileage numbers. 40k miles, your rear tires have 4-5/32 of tread, and your fronts are bald on the outside. You need new front tires. So, what do you do? Do you buy new front tires only? Then your rears will need to be replaced soon, and you'll have mis-matched tires. Not a big deal to some people, but if your concern is having good tires.... Do you move your 4-5/32 tires to the front and put the new tires on the rear? The tire shops advocate this, for the same reason automakers engineer understeer into their cars - it's not any safer, but the general public can't drive worth a [censored] and are terrified of oversteer - they'd rather understeer into a pole or ditch instead. And then in 10k miles you'll need new front tires again, what then? Move the fairly new rears to the front, and rinse:repeat?

Rotating tires lets you gain roughly even wear on all 4 tires, so that when it's time for new tires, you're replacing all 4. Maximizing traction and service life of all 4 tires. In the scenario above, if you got 40k out of the fronts and 50k out of the rears, you'd most likely get 45k out of the full set of rotated tires, and you'll have better traction all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back