CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE!

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: ZachMcgowan
This is the reason why I decided to buy a Digital Tire Gauge from Mountaincrest a month ago because of some big fluctuations in my TPMS. Just making sure everything is working out well while I'm driving off to some great distances.

Wow, Zach... you sure do like your Mountaincrest Digital Tire Gauge.

Yes, he posted all over here about it, and it is starting to sound a bit like an advertisement...

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but if the temp drops an appreciable amount, be sure to check the tire pressure. It drops too with colder weather. We had a "cold" front pass through on Friday, so on Saturday morning I checked. Sure enough, from the usual 33-34, all the tires were down to about 30. (Or maybe they lost only a pound due to temperature, and were ready for a shot of air anyhow.)

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Yes, he posted all over here about it, and it is starting to sound a bit like an advertisement...

Which was exactly why I chose to subtly call him out on it.

Off a bit, but reminds me-the only car/tires/wheels I've ever had over the years that never-really never needed any air added=Goodyear 'Gatorback' on my 25 year old trans am. They are a very heavy duty high speed tire, but still...

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Off a bit, but reminds me-the only car/tires/wheels I've ever had over the years that never-really never needed any air added=Goodyear 'Gatorback' on my 25 year old trans am. They are a very heavy duty high speed tire, but still...

No leaking air means both your rims and your tire had some serious quality control, AND were not abused on installation. That trifecta seems to be TOO HARD for so many to achieve.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: mystere
I follow the old school method in maintaining tires: I inflate them to the maximum cold pressure posted on the tire sidewall.

That's not old school...that's just wrong...

That pressure is predicated on the tire's max load rating...and has nothing to do with what pressure your application requires...there have been so many threads on this, I won't bother to repeat, but I would encourage you to do a little research and updating to your approach...
YES!

Originally Posted By: Subdued
I run 35 PSI of 80% nitrogen, 16% Oxygen, and 4% a mix of other stuff in my Yaris.

Seems to hold up pretty well.
Maybe you should throw in some greenhouse gas to stay environment friendly.
smile.gif

I keep portable air compressors that plug into the accessory outlet, in both cars.

I notice that my Yokohama YK580's are more prone to loosing air pressure during fluctuating weather conditions. Other tires past and present don't fluctuate as much. I check psi's every week or two all year round.

Originally Posted By: 3for3
I keep portable air compressors that plug into the accessory outlet, in both cars.

I notice that my Yokohama YK580's are more prone to loosing air pressure during fluctuating weather conditions. Other tires past and present don't fluctuate as much. I check psi's every week or two all year round.

And you yank the OEM tires for better tires
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
3for3 said:
And you yank the OEM tires for better tires
crackmeup2.gif

I know, it's hilarious. The YK580's proved to be not much better overall than the factory supplied tires. Lesson learned. That was my first fail on aftermarket tires.

I check almost daily, as my passenger front leaks a bit of air. Has since day one. I run 48psi up front, 44 psi out back. Have not had any traction issues and the tires seem to wear a bit better - they wear the outside edges up front and the inside edges out back far too quickly at the placard pressure. Fuel economy has greatly benefited as well, which is what prompted me to raise the pressure in the first place.

Usually every few weeks for me. It really depends on the car/wheels/tires. During the last 2 years I owned my 1997 Lincoln those rims leaked like crazy due to corrosion from lots of winter commutes. I had to add air at least every week as the worst tire would be down 3-5 psi. Even after I went out and bought a pair of used rims in "nice" shape, those leaked as well. These days I clean the brake dust off my alloy wheels every week to try and slow the corrosion process.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I just wanted to add a little something to this thread... don't forget to check your spare tire pressure as well!

I feel like it's too much trouble, to extract the spare from where it's hiding. I keep a portable electric compressor in my both cars, so why bother? In that unlikely case when I need to use a spare tire, I'm ready to spend extra 2 minutes inflating it to the proper pressure.

Otherwise, checking the pressure on the first weekend of every month (easy to remember this way).

I put Handkook Ventus V12's on my RX8 about 5 years ago.

They were very squirmy, and I ran around 44 hot on the track.

Now they are hard, and not much grip anymore, but they have held 38 psi hot FOR 2 YEARS.

My newish 4 year old Pirelli P7's summer tires on a BMW X1 loose about 1 psi per month.

Originally Posted By: akela
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I just wanted to add a little something to this thread... don't forget to check your spare tire pressure as well!

I feel like it's too much trouble, to extract the spare from where it's hiding. I keep a portable electric compressor in my both cars, so why bother? In that unlikely case when I need to use a spare tire, I'm ready to spend extra 2 minutes inflating it to the proper pressure.

Otherwise, checking the pressure on the first weekend of every month (easy to remember this way).

I sort of agree; I carry a compressor too. Part of my annual routine is to check the air in the spare, though. I can usually put 10-20# into it except for the fullsize spare on my pickup truck, which takes 5-10# annually.

Last edited:
Got the low press msg on my 08 Malibu LTZ this morning, only drive it once a month and it sits in the garage the rest of the time, pumped them back up.

I am surprised that so mamy are having trouble with their tires losing air, presumably via the inner bladder or maybe Schrader valve. I wonder how diligent your tire installer is about cleaning the rim's bead seats and using a proper lube when seating beads. They should not leak enough to be noticed in just a month. Reduced temps due to cold weather is another issue and given the "cold inflation pressuer" is probably relative to some ISO standard such as 68F or 72F, should we really puff up the pressure when we note the decline at, say, 17F. Wouldn't that lead to over inflation as the tires warm up to normal during driving?

Originally Posted By: prs
I am surprised that so mamy are having trouble with their tires losing air, presumably via the inner bladder or maybe Schrader valve. I wonder how diligent your tire installer is about cleaning the rim's bead seats and using a proper lube when seating beads. They should not leak enough to be noticed in just a month. Reduced temps due to cold weather is another issue and given the "cold inflation pressuer" is probably relative to some ISO standard such as 68F or 72F, should we really puff up the pressure when we note the decline at, say, 17F. Wouldn't that lead to over inflation as the tires warm up to normal during driving?

FYI, the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure is at ambient temp.

This means that if the door placard gives a recommended pressure of 33psi, then it is 33psi WHEN THE TIRES ARE COLD no matter the outside air temp. At 30 DegF the recommended pressure is 33psi. At 100 DegF the recommended pressure is 33psi.

Always remember to adjust tire pressure to recommended when the tires are cold, i.e. have not been driven on for at least 4 hours and are at ambient temp (not having sat in the sun, for example).

HTH

Back