Select Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use nightbreakers and I was very impressed with their performance. Then I relay'd the loom and now they're incredible!

In a previous vehicle Phillips bulbs always failed within a coup,e of months of fitting.

They will both be short-lived bulbs. I'd use an HIR2 instead of ANY HB4 in most vehicles. It's basically the output of a high beam bulb with the existing optics (cutoff, distribution, etc) of your low beam. No HB4 will compare favorably.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Philips 9006 X-tremeVision Upgrade Headlight Bulb
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9006-X-tr...+headlight+bulb

OSRAM - Night Breaker Unlimited 9006 HB4 Bulbs 51W
https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Night-Break...5CVC02FV1QSV1JD

What is your choice based strictly on performance?

Philips XV, hand's down. I've had a set on my truck for years now. They're not a "gimmick" blue tinted bulb or anything like that- the thin blue tint ring near the filament shield is a clever utilization of the beam pattern regulations, which lets their bulb produce a little more light in the bulk of the beam without exceeding the legal limit in a small area. Its genuinely clever, and they last very well. Note, this isn't an "overwattage" bulb or anything like that, you're not going to see a huge difference. Its just getting as close as possible to the maximum performance while remaining 100% within the rules.

The Osram is blue-tinted gimmickery. It will have a really short life in all probability, since that type of bulb usually pushes the filament harder to offset for the light lost to the tinting. And the light absorbed by the tinting makes the glass run hotter, so it has more potential to damage headlamp housings.

I put that 9006 on my truck - had so many flash brights at me - 1st I had to lower too low - then I pulled the grill off and shimmed the housing so many times they did me little good but knew where the RH ditch was. Took off.
Looking for a driving light housing that holds 9006 so I can use them on backroad/off-road...

You're aware those are likely to last at most 2 months, correct? Overdriven bulbs... they don't last long.

Have had very few of the brilliant bulbs last over a year - and cops around here don't have warning tickets on that laptop menu
Phasing out on using them ...

Originally Posted By: horse123
You're aware those are likely to last at most 2 months, correct? Overdriven bulbs... they don't last long.

See my above post- the Philips is NOT an overwattage or overdriven bulb, its configured to take advantage of the characteristics of the approval tests so that they can put a little more light in the main beam, that's all. The Osram probably is a bit overdriven since its got a lot more tinted area on the capsule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back