Discount Tire Direct BF sale is on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done the DTD route and would appreciate some assistance. I'm looking to buy 4 General Altimax rt43's in an unpopular size 205/70/16.

1.) Does the $16 (each) mounting charge at the local DT include the usual perks: free lifetime balance, rotation, and flat repair?

2.) Belle Tire has a competitive offer AND includes a free pro rated 3 year road hazard warranty. Does the DTD/DT route include any free road hazard?

Note: Both offer a free replacement road hazard warranty for extra $$ that I don't think that I am interested in (on the fence about this though).

3.) Most sites don't mention TPMS service. This is my first time dealing with this. On a 4 year old car, is it recommended to get the TPMS rebuild kit service??

4.) Is it bad to get the DTS credit card (additional $60 off) just for this single purchase? What are the pitfalls of doing this?

Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I've never done the DTD route and would appreciate some assistance. I'm looking to buy 4 General Altimax rt43's in an unpopular size 205/70/16.

Yep, it's unpopular local DT showing one choice, special order.

Quote:
1.) Does the $16 (each) mounting charge at the local DT include the usual perks: free lifetime balance, rotation, and flat repair?

On a purchase from DT, that's all included. I believe if you purchase from DTD and go to DT for installation they charge 'at least' $2 per tire more. That used to be SOP.

Quote:
2.) Belle Tire has a competitive offer AND includes a free pro rated 3 year road hazard warranty. Does the DTD/DT route include any free road hazard?

Yes, if they tire can't be plugged using RMA procedures (not repairable area), prorated road hazard applies. Used it myself recently on a punctured tire. Certficates for total (non prorated) replacement costs extra as you note. Your call there.

Quote:
3.) Most sites don't mention TPMS service. This is my first time dealing with this. On a 4 year old car, is it recommended to get the TPMS rebuild kit service??

If your vehicle requires or needs TPMS service they will let you know, and that is at their SOP depending on model.

Quote:
4.) Is it bad to get the DTS credit card (additional $60 off) just for this single purchase? [quote/] What are the pitfalls of doing this?

No bad at all, in fact good imo. Get the current $60 rebate per set. Just make sure to pay it off before end of 6 month promo period and you're golden. No interest, even an auto pay set up option there iirc. If you can't do that, well probable shouldn't have any CC 'imo'. DT/DTD Car One Card is one to have.

All that said, my advice is have your local b&m DT store price match the DTD RT43 price and the rebates. That rebate would be the DT 'better' tire, $75 rebate. Here I've even had them match the DTD total no tax price, but YMMV on that one. 'If' you're local DT won't match the price and two rebates (tire & DT card), then just order from DTD and have DT install them. IME, be very surprised if local DT won't do their best to keep the whole transaction with them and meet your expectations. Best to go to the store to get the match. I prefer face to face to get the price match.

Need tires for Fusion ...
Yeah, had a look at DT deals. Nothing interesting - just ordered Goodyear Assurance UltraTour ...
It's an inexpensive 70k tire that I'd be happy to get 40k from based on price ... looks like a good wet road design
(No snow here).

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

All that said, my advice is have your local b&m DT store price match the DTD RT43 price and the rebates. That rebate would be the DT 'better' tire, $75 rebate. Here I've even had them match the DTD total no tax price, but YMMV on that one. 'If' you're local DT won't match the price and two rebates (tire & DT card), then just order from DTD and have DT install them. IME, be very surprised if local DT won't do their best to keep the whole transaction with them and meet your expectations. Best to go to the store to get the match. I prefer face to face to get the price match.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions in detail. I also prefer to buy local for many reasons. It seems that the warranty process through DTD might be a hassle. It's been about 6 years since I bought new tires and I am doing my homework before I pound the pavement. My son bought 4 new Continentals a few weeks ago and he got DT to knock off $100 from their original offer, so I question if the modest Black Friday deals are even worth it. Thanks again.

DT put Conti's on the Cruze a couple months back ... they gave me a discount I did not expect saying their BFG's did not give me an up to par run ...

Though not my specific intent today, followed the advice I gave doitmyself and got a set of General RT43 235/60 R17 from local DT. This was for daughter's Equinox which had mismatched tires (came that way as purchase from SIL), two newer on back older worn out on front. Was intending to see if I could get a rotation, with possible purchase as an option.

Assistant manager came out to look, only ~2/32 middle portion, 4/32 outer of fronts, ~8/32 rear BFG's. As I was aware DT doesn't like to rotate significant difference worn tires on FWD to rear. And in this case the fronts basically worn out. No high pressure, said it could be driven the way was for awhile but no point in rotating. I had no problem with that, but hated to buy a set of tires and get nothing for the rears. So then I asked if he'd give me something for the rears, he said we'll do a trade. Gave me $100 for both tires which I thought was fair especially considering they weren't purchased there.

Then quoted me a price ~$8 per tire less than the DTD online price, same price as WM/WM.com. That basically made up the DTD no tax price difference. $3.50/per tire for TPMS rebuild which seems fair. $16 per tire LT balance, rotation, prorated road hazard. That's SOP. Envir and disposal fees ~$12 total. Tires ordered, in Monday or Tuesday.

So ~$458 total, minus $135 in rebates. I'm satisfied and the whole transaction with local DT store.

Armed with some computer quotes, I shopped at four local stores, including DT for my General Altimax rt43's. I got the best deal from a small local chain (4 stores). They met the DTD price (about $380 total) without any rebates or new credit card sign up. I've purchased tires from them in the past and like that I can talk to the installation techs. to express any concerns I have about haphazard jacking, proper torque, etc.. It helped to get online quotes in order to get an idea of general tire prices before shopping locally. Thanks, Sayjac, for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back