2010 CVPI timing chain tensioner failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a set of Comp Cams XE262AH cams in my hooptie back in late summer and upon 1st start up I had a rattle/tick from the drivers side head. I pulled the valve cover back off to discover the driver's side chain had slack in it. I didn't have the time to mess with it with harvest coming so I buttoned it all back up and parked it. I finally have time again so I pulled it back into the shop and tore it down. The driver's side tensioner is toast. You could compress it by hand with minimal effort. Plus, the fixed chain guide has some play/wobble in it, I suspect it has a crack near the upper mounting point. This is the 2nd motor in the car and I don't know the mileage it had when it was installed by the city that owned it but it has had 40,000 miles and probably 3,000-4,000 idle hours in this car. The engine is surprisingly spotless. I bought 2 new metal tensioners and all 4 guides. I am going to reuse the chains.

I suspect I killed the tensioner and cracked the guide when I hammered the timing wedge into place. I took the cheap way out on the install and it cost me. Oh well. Now I know how to tear down a 4.6 blindfolded.

You hammered the wedge in place? Uh yeah. I'd say that did it. Even hand tight can be too much. You just need to slide it in place.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You hammered the wedge in place? Uh yeah. I'd say that did it. Even hand tight can be too much. You just need to slide it in place.

The passenger side went slick as a whistle. The drivers side just wouldn't wedge itself and get snug. So, I pushed it into place with a long screwdriver and then gave the screw driver a few love taps with a rubber mallet until I couldn't easily move the wedge with the removal wires. Oh well, live and learn.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I've always hated the wedge tools on the mod motors. Much preferred to take the cover off and inspect everything.

Having done it both ways now, I would take the front cover off in the future. I had it off in around an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back