Mount spare tire in truck bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cannot seem to find a replacement jack set for my 1998 F-150. I have a small floor jack, but I cannot find the extension rods that go through the hole in the bumper then crank to drop the spare from up under the bed. I have looked everywhere, salvage yards, on line, etc.

So, any good suggestions for a bed mount? Any way to do a simple home made rig job? I want to put it right behind the cab on the passenger side.

On my 02 ford the rod is stored under the hood in clips. have you checked the local junk yards for a new rod. probably doesn't have to be the same year.

Thanks for those links, but I was under the impression its a two piece rod that interlocks. I am confused now, LOL.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Thanks for those links, but I was under the impression its a two piece rod that interlocks. I am confused now, LOL.

Nope. Same as above. Should be cheaper at salvage locally.

Ensure you lubricate the spare tire hoist though

Rod

Last edited:
On my '97 and '99 F150's, there was a long rod under the hood - not a 2 piece. It clips on the wiper fluid container on the passenger side and a clip near the pressure bottle on the driver side.

Every pickup I have owned since my 1966 Chevy C-10 has had the spare just riding in the bed. I have been using elastic tire covers on them for the last couple of decades for UV protection. Living on gravel roads and such, a spare under the bed is borderline insane. So much dirt, gravel, mud, whatever cakes up on a spare under there, one almost needs a jackhammer to clean a spare off if needed, let alone the mechanism that hold them up under there tends to jam or freeze up and not work at the most inopportune time.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have been using elastic tire covers on them for the last couple of decades for UV protection.

I am interested in this. Do you have any recommendations for brand, type of material?
Thanks, Terry

The denim style seem to have more durability in my use. The one I have on my current pickup spare has done a stellar job and holding up very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back