Mystery Noise from Rear Stabilizer Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re 1999 Toyota Avalon with 133k miles

I am trying to identify the source of a banging noise which sounds like a lug wrench loose in the wheel well. It happens rarely with just the right combo of speed and bump. Unfortunately, one of those rare spots is 1/2 mile from my house and I hit it every time I go out. Thought it was rear lateral control arms but it is not. Stabilizer bar end links are rock solid Deeza's - only 4 years old w/20k miles. Stabilizer bar bushings were replaced a few years ago. They still look great but I have ordered new ones for kicks and giggles. Noise disappears if I remove one end link from either side. The bar is slightly worn (smaller diameter) at the bushings but does not seem enough to cause a problem. Have carried a few heavy loads of stuff in the trunk over the years but would not think that would be a big deal. Is it possible that stabilizer bars fatigue or bend over the years? I believe the noise is the stabilizer bar hitting the sub frame or somehow, with both end links in place, load transfer to the struts is causing the strut or strut mount to make the noise. Replaced original struts about 40k miles ago with KYB with Toyota OEM mounts. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?ccId=94025518&ppId=436998350&ppInfo=(9409-++++)&ccode=361410&ppName=480470C

Last edited:
Remove the bushings and wrap the bar and bushing with tape, then replace the bushings and see if the noise goes away.

If it does, buy new bushings (or just drive on) if it doesn't, buy new links.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Remove the bushings and wrap the bar and bushing with tape, then replace the bushings and see if the noise goes away.

If it does, buy new bushings (or just drive on) if it doesn't, buy new links.

Thanks for the response. I will try the tape although that seems helpful for squeaks but not rare metallic clanks. I may have to change end links out of desperation but I assure you they are solid. Loose end links tend to rattle all of the time not cause rare loud metallic clanks.

What about struts and/or strut mounts? Is it possible they would cause rare metallic clanks only when connected to stabilizer bar?

With a metallic clank you need metal to metal, I would shake the exhaust, wiggle heat shields, jack it up and hit the tire with a rubber mallet, clear out the trunk etc.

But if it goes away with the links disconnected, maybe it is the swaybar.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
With a metallic clank you need metal to metal, I would shake the exhaust, wiggle heat shields, jack it up and hit the tire with a rubber mallet, clear out the trunk etc.

But if it goes away with the links disconnected, maybe it is the swaybar.

Have done everything you suggest in first paragraph. When I disconnect the end links and rotate bar to hit subframe, the metallic noise sounds just like the noise I hear when I drive over one of those rare spots. That is why I asked my original question about the stabilizer bar. Can it bend or fatigue so that it bows under stress? If I had a loose strut bolt or bad strut mount, I think that noise would not go away when I disconnect an end link. In fact, I thInk a connected stabilizer bar would reduce strut noises as it makes the struts share the load.

I've had a clunk in the rear suspension of my 04 Camry V6 since 2006. Replaced sway bar bushings but clunking continues. Seems to temperature related. One would think that something that makes that much noise would reveal itself. Sounds like a spring under tension clunk.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I've had a clunk in the rear suspension of my 04 Camry V6 since 2006. Replaced sway bar bushings but clunking continues. Seems to temperature related. One would think that something that makes that much noise would reveal itself. Sounds like a spring under tension clunk.
frown.gif

I was wrong to describe the sound as a metallic clank. More of a clunk. Took another good look today. I believe James Bond is right. Between the stabilizer bar being slightly worn and the bushings being slightly worn (although they look fine at first glance), there is enough movement for me to make a noise when exercising the bar. Should have my new bushings in a few days and will install them after wrapping the bar with Teflon tape. Will let you know what happens.

Does your Camry have original struts and mounts?

Last edited:
Is the nut on the bottom part of the link torqued enough?

My rav made this sound with new endlinks until I re tightened them with the wheels on the ground.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Is the nut on the bottom part of the link torqued enough?

My rav made this sound with new endlinks until I re tightened them with the wheels on the ground.

There was a thread about this not too long ago.

Stabilizer bars can break. I know this isn't your noise, but I had a front bar break on my '61 Ford. Never could determine why.

It doesn't take much clearance to make the sway bar clunk. We had a clunk in the rear of my wife's car. I asked the mechanic to look at it while the car was being inspected. He said "rear sway bar bushings". They looked OK to me, but I changed them anyway based on his diagnosis. The clunk went away. The tape idea above looks like a promising diagnostic tool.

As suggested, noise was caused by very slightly worn bushings. I was shocked because the original bushings were obviously shot when they started getting noisy. It was hard to tell the difference between the new Moog PS bushings and the old ones. Thanks to all for your help.

If anyone needs new rear Beck Arnley adjustable lateral control arms let me know. I installed them and test drove less than two miles. Put my old arms back on because they were not my problem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back