Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldn't use anything but synthetic in a turbo. As mentioned, diesels do it and have been for years, but keep in mind they are using an HDEO that is rated for such use.

If one really wanted to run an HDEO mineral oil in their turbo'd car, I reckon that would work too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I personally wouldn't use anything but synthetic in a turbo. As mentioned, diesels do it and have been for years, but keep in mind they are using an HDEO that is rated for such use.

If one really wanted to run an HDEO mineral oil in their turbo'd car, I reckon that would work too.

Plenty of Subaru WRX and STI owners have been very happy running Rotella of various weights in their cars.

Commercial diesels also have many gallons of oil. A turbo gasoline passenger car might have at most 8-10 quarts of oil. Proper maintenance practices become increasingly important with smaller sumps, since there is less oil to disperse contaminants in.

Have plenty of turbocharged vehicles, and none have had a turbo failure.

Maintenance is a huge factor. Imagine what a turbo bearing looks like in a sludged up engine.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Plenty of Subaru WRX and STI owners have been very happy running Rotella of various weights in their cars.

Commercial diesels also have many gallons of oil. A turbo gasoline passenger car might have at most 8-10 quarts of oil. Proper maintenance practices become increasingly important with smaller sumps, since there is less oil to disperse contaminants in.

Many medium duty trucks hold less oil than you might expect...offhand, I was told (by a Ryder mechanic) that the 6.7 Cummins in the Freightliner I drive only holds 14 quarts. (OCI is 10,000 miles, 15W-40 Rotella.) On the other hand...International's MAXX-Force DT holds thirty.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Just like engines, there are good and bad turbos. Longevity has more to do with how they are treated. The original 21 year old Garrett T3 on my car is still spinning along fine.

That is true. There were some poorer designs, but in general if machine is threated well it will serve even better.

Tens of millions turboes in Europe, only few problematic ( 1,6 16v 110 hdi, POS VW..)
Most people don't even know they have turbo in their vehicle.

Turboes aren't really expensive these days, Garrett variable for mid range diesels cost around 400€ if buying smart.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The exhaust temperature only gets really hot during a regen in the catalyst though. That's where the raw fuel burns to heat up the DPF.

But I can get up to the maximum allowed pre-turbo EGT just by driving at top speed for a few seconds, without a Regen taking place. I say the EGT got higher because the power output for the displacement got higher in modern cars.

How do you act when regen take place? Do you notice it while driving? If you notice it at stop, how you proceed? Leave it on idle while it finishes or what?

I've removed DPF from my Bravo Sport day after I bought it, but with Vectra I'm not in a mood.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The exhaust temperature only gets really hot during a regen in the catalyst though. That's where the raw fuel burns to heat up the DPF.

But I can get up to the maximum allowed pre-turbo EGT just by driving at top speed for a few seconds, without a Regen taking place. I say the EGT got higher because the power output for the displacement got higher in modern cars.

How do you act when regen take place? Do you notice it while driving? If you notice it at stop, how you proceed? Leave it on idle while it finishes or what?

I've removed DPF from my Bravo Sport day after I bought it, but with Vectra I'm not in a mood.

I put the transmission in sports mode (dynamic dna setting in alfa speak) so the engine makes more RPM (around 2000 rpm at light throttle, and easily goes beyond 4000 when accellerating even modestly) I usually notice the fuel consumption shooting up, sometimes I hear a heavier exhaust note. Especially when you let off the throttle and the consumption doezn't drop to 0 in 1 second, it means there's a regen happening.

If possible, I'll go around the block if the regen is in progress while I arrive at my destination, but if not I'll either letthe car idle (at work, I work at a car dealership) or worst case I just shut it down, but that hasn't happened more than 3 times in as many years.

A regen from start to finish takes 10 minutes, and often has been busy for a minute or 3 before I notice. I'm not inclined to drop the dpf out, the system works very well. Last summer I drove 2000 miles between regens anyway.

Thanks Jetronic, that is really assuring. I like DPF to be honest, lack of diesel powder in the air I've always notice with my Stilo when opening my front yard porta wasn't pleasant at all. I can live with occasional regen., just the other day I was bit unsure if burning smell was normal. And cracking sounds after shutdown..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Many medium duty trucks hold less oil than you might expect...offhand, I was told (by a Ryder mechanic) that the 6.7 Cummins in the Freightliner I drive only holds 14 quarts. (OCI is 10,000 miles, 15W-40 Rotella.) On the other hand...International's MAXX-Force DT holds thirty.

True! That's only 2.5 gallons, which isn't that many. I was imagining the engines in big rigs and other heavy vehicles.

Gasoline turbo passenger cars don't hold that much. And maintenance is decidedly more scattershot than on a commercial vehicle. So that might contribute to less than optimal outcomes for turbos in gasoline passenger vehicles than for turbos in commercial vehicles that get serviced regularly.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

True! That's only 2.5 gallons, which isn't that many. I was imagining the engines in big rigs and other heavy vehicles.

Gasoline turbo passenger cars don't hold that much. And maintenance is decidedly more scattershot than on a commercial vehicle. So that might contribute to less than optimal outcomes for turbos in gasoline passenger vehicles than for turbos in commercial vehicles that get serviced regularly.

Don't forget to add extra cold starts (and heat up cycles), hot shutdowns and short trips on a mile per mile basis...

3.5 gallons.

My last service with Amsoil Marine and Diesel 15/40 showed that at 12,000 miles, it was ready to go for a lot longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back