My extended drain OCI did not go as intended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I'm guessing Toyota is going to have a new round of lawsuits. They spec 10k OCI on newer models. Most people I know including my dad don't check. I checked his 2012 2.5l Camry the other day 7k into the interval it was down 1.5qts. It only has 40k on it imagine 70-80k?

Maybe toyota thought they had finally resolved oil consumption issues. Nope.

Toyota has oil consumption problems because they use low-tension piston rings to meet CAFE numbers. The older models I've owned never used any oil between changes but that's not the case with the newer models.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
I'm guessing Toyota is going to have a new round of lawsuits. They spec 10k OCI on newer models. Most people I know including my dad don't check. I checked his 2012 2.5l Camry the other day 7k into the interval it was down 1.5qts. It only has 40k on it imagine 70-80k?

Toyota has oil consumption problems because they use low-tension piston rings to meet CAFE numbers. The older models I've owned never used any oil between changes but that's not the case with the newer models.

Sorry, but as described that's an idiot consumer issue. Surely Toyota can't be expected to resolve them?

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Sorry, but as described that's an idiot consumer issue. Surely Toyota can't be expected to resolve them?

Yes it is. And so was the Toyota sludge lawsuit. A bad PCV design would cause problems when the vehicle was poorly maintained. of course no one's gonna step up and admit such, they blame the manufacturer

Originally Posted By: ebr1190rx
Finally changed it... yeah it was black

That's nothing I ran the oil in the 05 Picanto for under 2k and it came out black as night.

I suppose that is good and bad. Bad because it has discoloured quickly, but good because that short OCI has clearly cleaned the engine out rather well which is what I intended.

Not sure what you mean by "idiot consumer issue." Can you explain?

As for resolving the issue, Toyota has issued a TSB which indicates that cars under warranty with verified oil consumption exceeding one quart every 1200 miles shall be repaired (at Toyota's expense) by installing redesigned pistons and piston ring assemblies.

Not sure what you mean by "idiot consumer issue." Can you explain?

Not checking your oil in 10 thousand miles?

What's to explain?

"What's to explain" is how it's an "idiot consumer issue" when a well-maintained, newish vehicle starts guzzling massive amounts of oil---the Toyotas in the aforementioned TSB, for example. That had nothing to do with the Chrysler that wasn't checked for 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: ebr1190rx
Finally changed it... yeah it was black

That's nothing I ran the oil in the 05 Picanto for under 2k and it came out black as night.

I suppose that is good and bad. Bad because it has discoloured quickly, but good because that short OCI has clearly cleaned the engine out rather well which is what I intended.

Is that a diesel? I ask because all diesels turn oil black almost immediately once they get through their first oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back