Battery Charger Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If that battery is really that dead I'd use the 20 amp setting

The battery is long dead and no good, I used it just to see what it would do. I took it down to the shed and charged the Kubota battery that was not fully discharged, it did a nice job charging it in couple of hours.
The battery got barely warm to the touch when finished nowhere near as warm as the wheeled charger gets it on the low setting. I just ordered some aluminum plate and tube and will fab a carrying cradle.

From my experience, you will be very happy with the Pro-Logix. I bought the PL2320 a couple years ago, and have been very pleased with it.

You are right about the lack of handle, but I built a small roll around cart for mine, so the lack of handle is no issue. My only small gripe are the instructions. There are no quick instructions on how to use it, in a single sequence in the manual. You have to refer to two or three different sections of the manual to find all the steps to correctly start and stop a charge. I ended up putting all the steps together on a numerated list. I printed them out and put it with the charger. Since I don't use it frequently enough to remember, the note is helpful.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
My only small gripe are the instructions. There are no quick instructions on how to use it, in a single sequence in the manual. You have to refer to two or three different sections of the manual to find all the steps to correctly start and stop a charge.

1. Hook up to battery.
2. Turn on charger.
3. Select voltage/battery type/charging rate
4. Press Charge to start charging.
5. Press Charge again to stop charging.

Kind of self explanatory to me. Is there more to it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
My only small gripe are the instructions. There are no quick instructions on how to use it, in a single sequence in the manual. You have to refer to two or three different sections of the manual to find all the steps to correctly start and stop a charge.

1. Hook up to battery.
2. Turn on charger.
3. Select voltage/battery type/charging rate
4. Press Charge to start charging.
5. Press Charge again to stop charging.

Kind of self explanatory to me. Is there more to it?

Well, if you follow the instructions from Solar, then yes.

1. Connect Pos. to battery.
2. Connect Neg.
3. Plug charger into AC.
4. Select voltage/battery type/charging rate
5. Verify no errors are displayed.
6. Press start.
7. If only charging, when "Charging Complete" light comes on, press Start/Stop button. If conditioning battery also, wait for "Charging In Progress" light to stop flashing. In this case, it is not necessary to press Stop/Start, as the charger shuts down automatically after conditioning.
8. Unplug charger from AC.
9. Disconnect Neg. clamp.
10. Disconnect Pos. clamp.

There have been a couple accounts reported here on BITOG about guys that have burned out their pro-logix charger due to a bad battery or bad connection. They determined that they had failed to follow the correct sequence at startup. So I try to be sure to follow what Solar has outlined.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Charged 4 batteries with it and no problems whatsoever. I would buy it again.

Did you only charge them? Or did you let the charger go all the way through the conditioning cycle?

The batteries in the BMW and the Rat are very weak due to advanced age and the cars sitting. Boosting batteries is done all the time. I don't get too blase, because my wife had a battery explode when she tried to start the car. Current current is a Sears 2-10 -50 charger. Maybe ten yrs old/ I have re-attached the clamps a few times. I also have a 4 amp 6-12 Volt charger that has to be pushing 60 yrs old judging from its construction. I also have the Centech sub -10$ floater from HF. In fact I just bought another for 4.99$.
Yah, I know, the car won't start, you're in a hurry, thats what cables are for. .. I start charging at 2 amps. I've noticed that if the battery is really flat, It likes a quick hit of 10 amps. Once I see some movement of the ammeter, I drop the rate to 2 amps over night is plenty. Now that I've got 2 floaters, I'm gonna rig them for the sitters. I have learned that using a floater will extend battery life. The batteries are hanging in there way longer than previous batteries despite being recharged several times a yr.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back