strut spring compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a rattling strut mount--a workorder that came with the new-to-me car lists LF being replaced, and that the RF would need soon replacement. Well it's got a nice rattle now. So I'm toying with getting the compressor to do this job--I figure, my "good" Camry isn't all that young, and may eventually need struts also. So it may be a useful tool to "invest" in. [I see this one but haven't decided yet. I saw previous recommendations that said to get ones with locking pins and Acme threads, and that one has both.]

[For the record, I'm not sure my 140kmile struts are dead; I'm sure they could easily be replaced and I'd feel the difference. I probably could stand new rear coils, as I think it's sagging in the rear. But it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a cheap beater and then tossing big bucks on "good" struts; and quick strut reviews are all over the place. Many complain about cheap bearings and/or wrong spring rates.]

Question: why is anti-seize the recommended lubricant for lubing threads? Not grease of any sort, but anti-seize. Seems... odd.

If you have an unlimited budget, or if someone else is paying the bill, quick struts are nice. I have always replaced the struts myself (using Monroe, KYB, Gabriel) with a spring compressor.

just a couple things from my perspective as i am only a week end shadetree...

as mentioned above, i like quick struts too, they are so easy out and in.

if you are going to get the compressors, get good quality ones. i bent a pair from harbor freight! boy did those worry me when i used them, and so far i have only used twice and they scare me. i know, i know i had to learn the hard way!

if i do any more spring compressions i am getting a better set of compressors.

Last edited:
I like the quick struts because they're lifetime warranty. I've gotten one or two replacement sets out of buying one. Cheaper in the long run than just buying them every time. Just depends how long you're going to keep it. When they're free, I replaced them at 50-70k. You always notice a difference afterwards. Much more responsive, better handling.

Rent a spring compressor from a parts store, check it before you leave the store that it's not damaged. Make sure it's retaingin pins are not bent and all there.

Much easier to compress springs if you have an impact wrench, otherwise you're going to get a very strong arm.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I like the quick struts because they're lifetime warranty. I've gotten one or two replacement sets out of buying one. Cheaper in the long run than just buying them every time. Just depends how long you're going to keep it. When they're free, I replaced them at 50-70k. You always notice a difference afterwards. Much more responsive, better handling.

How does the warranty work? On the Koni's for my last car, I bought the replacement struts full price; they shipped them to me, and I had them installed. Then shipped the old ones back to Koni for refund. Had they disagreed with me, I would have been refunded half of my money. A quick look doesn't reveal how Monroe's warranty works.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Rent a spring compressor from a parts store, check it before you leave the store that it's not damaged. Make sure it's retaingin pins are not bent and all there.

Much easier to compress springs if you have an impact wrench, otherwise you're going to get a very strong arm.

Debating renting. Figured if I could get the tool for under $50 (a quality one, mind you) I might just buy one. Wasn't planning on buying struts locally though, although to be honest I haven't price shopped, other than off Amazon.

Have an impact, but also have an air ratchet.

Given I am not the most skilled when it comes to spring compressors I would rather not die with a spring flies at me going 400mph. I brought my struts in to have them replaced and saved the coils but for my Malibu my stuts and springs were toast at 165k so I decided to go with quick struts. Very easy to install and it was a night and day difference. I cant speak for the warranty but considering the miles of the vehicle I will probably junk it before I need to worry about the warranty

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
likely will need impact...i started withx 1/2" ratchet, then breaker bar and went to impact soon after.

Ah, gotcha. I knew it wouldn't be "free and easy" but figured it'd not be that hard. I watched a mechanic press in and out wheel bearings on my Jetta, and I recall him just using an air ratchet--fine pitch rod to move the bearings in and out. I guess the major difference is that the spring is progressively harder to compress, and the Acme threads I've seen in photos isn't that fine of a pitch.

I bought a set of spring compressors at NAPA with U-bolts to grab the springs, which seems like a good idea to me. You do need to lube the threads and next time I use them I'm going to try my moly grease. If I didn't have any performance aspirations and monroe whatevers were good enough, I'd probably just quick strut everything though, as decent strut parts bought separately add up to more than a quick strut quickly. KYB also offers quick struts now too if you want a little more dampening.

If you can get the complete strut with a new spring installed, go that route. You can get them on Ebay for good prices, and not have to get a compressor ,or worry about it popping off and taking your head off.Besides, if you car has 140k miles on it, your springs are most likely worn out. The quick struts make the job go alot faster also.,,,

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

How does the warranty work? On the Koni's for my last car, I bought the replacement struts full price; they shipped them to me, and I had them installed. Then shipped the old ones back to Koni for refund. Had they disagreed with me, I would have been refunded half of my money. A quick look doesn't reveal how Monroe's warranty works.

Well I got them from Advanced Auto. Bought it online, pickup in store so I had the receipt in my email. Just bought a set at the store, returned the old ones and they credited it back to me. They never say anything, they just ask what was wrong with it, bad mount, blown out/old.

The other set I got from Rockauto. I would have had to buy another set from them, and then pay to return the old ones before they credit me. However I found out that the rear sets were defective via a car forum post and I called up the manufacturer and they sent me a new set and then they sent me a call tag for the old ones. They knew they were bad when I sent them a picture of the tag and that was the bad batch. I always thought the ride height was a little low and it was because they were defective. They would have paid for installation too, but I used an indy guy who only charged me $80 and I had them on for a year or two before I found out.

Originally Posted By: supton
Debating renting. Figured if I could get the tool for under $50 (a quality one, mind you) I might just buy one. Wasn't planning on buying struts locally though, although to be honest I haven't price shopped, other than off Amazon.

Have an impact, but also have an air ratchet.

I like to rent tools like this because is it's free and there's no worry about damaging them. There are reasons to buy though.

From this summer on my Accent. New struts and mounts and ne wheel bearings. Didn't really need an alignment afterwards too.

cpy4SOb.jpg

I have the HF one and it's a gorram deathtrap waiting to happen.

OTOH it doesn't take mojilla gorilla force to do a camry strut. Doing it with a ratchet is boring more than anything.

Figure your spring rate, a couple hundred pounds an inch, and thread pitch, and you'll see it's not too bad.

Remove the strut+spring assembly and take it to a shop. Pay the half hour labor, let them compress the spring and change out the top mount.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I have the HF one and it's a gorram deathtrap waiting to happen.

OTOH it doesn't take mojilla gorilla force to do a camry strut. Doing it with a ratchet is boring more than anything.

Figure your spring rate, a couple hundred pounds an inch, and thread pitch, and you'll see it's not too bad.
Yah, the 12.95 Set, I bought from Ocean State job lots darn near took my head off. Later on I figured them out. You don't have to compress the spring so much, but you want it to stay put when the top nut is backed off.

Quick struts are awesome! Plus, there is a rebate on them for another week. Both Monroe and Gabriel have a buy-3-get-1 free after rebate until 10/31. You can order them online and still qualify for the rebate. Even if you receive them after October, it's still ok as long as you place the order in October
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back