nothing like getting a letter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In today's mail, from a cemetery.
Look inside for 3 WAYS to SAVE!
Special Limited-time offer!

Do they know something I don't know?

Been getting the various retirement type offers for a little while.

But this one, bah.

Last edited:
Not surprised. The aging baby boomers (My wife and I are two of them) have created a lucrative market for any and all things related to dying...

those plots are only going up in price. i've bought 4 already for my family. they are not cheep for sure. but a good thing to get out of the way. when your dead it's a little late.
please make sure you have a will and a trust if your estate is large enough. saves those dealing with everything after your passing a lot of money and head ache dealing with the courts and probate.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

You do realize that you will die at some point in time, don't you? It's always a good idea to have the arrangements made well beforehand. Not only is it cost effective, but you can make sure your final wishes are known and carried out.

But this one, bah.

Think about it. You can make all of the arrangements, and when the day comes that you do die your family won't have to deal with everything (assuming they're actually grieving). Or you can just ignore it, and put that added burden on your family at a time when they are shouldering enough burden.

I prefer that my family not have to deal with it when my time comes; both my wife and I have all of our arrangements made and paid for. When the time comes the system takes over and it's all handled.

I told my wife and kids not to bury me.

Give my body to medical science for students to learn.

If they can get the ashes, put some in a weather balloon and send my remains into the upper atmosphere. That's a close to space travel as I'm likely to get.

Not to worry, Mr. Rivit, I fully appreciate my mortality. We're all just passing through here. I'll likely leave the letter in my in-bin as a reminder to begin addressing those end-of-life issues. In short, like my father's wishes, my wishes are to keep it economical.

Since this is the humor forum, here's another one on a related line.
We use to have a customer at the service station who worked in the funeral business. He would occasionally quip that he "worked in a growth industry".

On a serious note, is dark humor still acceptable? Or is it politically incorrect? I may be out of step with the times.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I told my wife and kids not to bury me.

Give my body to medical science for students to learn.

If they can get the ashes, put some in a weather balloon and send my remains into the upper atmosphere. That's a close to space travel as I'm likely to get.

I like that idea. Kind of a scientific/technical bend, a little mystical and economical to boot. I'd shoot for somewhere with prevailing winds carrying the balloon out over the ocean. A little ceremony on the beach, and off you go!

I like that idea. Kind of a scientific/technical bend, a little mystical and economical to boot. I'd shoot for somewhere with prevailing winds carrying the balloon out over the ocean. A little ceremony on the beach, and off you go!

Yes, when the balloon reaches a high enough altitude the pressure differential will burst the balloon, scattering the ashes at the edge of space.

Technically even the time the universe has left is limited, but the sun will be long gone before that happens.

I suppose the other possibility is to get yourself frozen like Ted Williams so you don't need to make cemetery arrangements.

Aren't there some old cemetery jokes about how people are dying to get in?

For those that want to be buried, why? Its not like people are going to keep coming to see your grave or dig you up on your birthday.

Donate to science like someone said and/or do cremation.

Yeah, your wife put you on their mailing list.....
shocked2.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
For those that want to be buried, why?

Because someday I'll become Valvoline WB 10w30........
grin.gif

...a letter promoting plot sales......Hold onto your hats. Here comes a fact.

Advertising is the biggest industry in the United States. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Originally Posted By: Kira
...a letter promoting plot sales......Hold onto your hats. Here comes a fact.

Advertising is the biggest industry in the United States. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Real-estate/leasing/renting is the biggest industry and contributor to GDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back