Volvo Gi 5,0, What oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:
I have a Volvo GL 5.0 engine in my boat. I've been using Volvo synthetic oil mainly because of warranty concerns. Now that the engine is no longer under warranty is there any reason to use the expensive Volvo oil, and not use regular automotive oil such as Mobile 1?

Last edited:
I use 10w40 Castrol synthetic blend in my 5.0 gxi . I think Volvo suggest 10w30

Last edited:
I'd prolly just run Rotella T6 5W-40 all seasons and cruise on
smile.gif

If your engine has an engine oil cooler, use the RT6.

If it does not have an engine oil cooler, use a good 50 weight synthetic oil.

I can tell you from multitudes of UOA's and teardowns that you can run a good synthetic for 100-hour intervals, and your engine will live a very long life.

Thanx for all the help guys. In regards to the oil change intervals, I use the boat during the warm season, and it doesn't get a whole lot of use. It sets for most of the year, so I suspect once a year oil changes are a good idea, even though it only gets about 20 hours of use during the warm season.

my 2005 era Volvo GXi 5.0 called for 30W synthetic. I know that the newer ones call for a different weight. (10w-30, perhaps?)
the information is available on Volvo Penta's website.

I always ran Amsoil 15w-40 in my Mercruiser; my Volvo has gotten Amsoil 30W; Amsoil 15-40. I would not hesitate to use 15w-40 like Delo or Rotella.

while I used to run over 100 hours a season on my boat, I only run 20-30 the last few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back