Does a notchy shift equal wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just doing some thinking on manual transmissions in general. Does a notchy shifting manual Trans mean it's wearing more quickly than a smooth shifting Trans?

This isn't an uncommon complaint. From BMW, miatas (my ranger) and a handful 9f others.

I'm sure a lot of guys wouldn't be as bothered by a bit of not chiness if it wasn't a sign of either a self destruction transmission or that a better fluid could be used.

I ended up going straight to the dealer and buying motorcraft mercon v for the ranger....reading online....this transmission can be sticky no matter what you pour in...and they seem to hold up.

I get the feeling certain synchro designs and gear cuts can have a big impact on this.

Thoughts?

Various trans fluids can accentuate or improve the problem, especially when cold. My '99 manual trans only has 18K miles on it, and there are times it feels notchy to me.

All these transmissions are constant mesh. You never actually change gears. All you do is move the coupler between gears. The gears have meshing teeth and they have a collar with teeth that the coupler fits on to. So the syncho's help the coupler match the spinning gear collar so they can "link".

Notchy shifting is either sticky rails or sticky coupler moving back and forth, or both. I have found Redline MTL to be the best at fixing this issue. It'll take a doggy tranny that really fights gear changes and make it smooth as silk and lighting quick. And best of all, the synchro's work fine. It's my go-to fluid for "notchy" trannies
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi guys, just doing some thinking on manual transmissions in general. Does a notchy shifting manual Trans mean it's wearing more quickly than a smooth shifting Trans?

This isn't an uncommon complaint. From BMW, miatas (my ranger) and a handful 9f others.

I'm sure a lot of guys wouldn't be as bothered by a bit of not chiness if it wasn't a sign of either a self destruction transmission or that a better fluid could be used.

I ended up going straight to the dealer and buying motorcraft mercon v for the ranger....reading online....this transmission can be sticky no matter what you pour in...and they seem to hold up.

I get the feeling certain synchro designs and gear cuts can have a big impact on this.

Thoughts?

The Ranger transmission, although similar to the Miata unit, is not the same, as in only some parts interchange (I've owned an example of both vehicles). The Miata 5-speed is as far from notchy as you can get ... some (Car & Driver magazine amongst them) claim it's the best shifting transmission ever fitted to a mass-manufactured automobile, ever. Miata enthusiasts prefer it to the Asin-built 6-speed fitted to later models.

The ranger, on the other hand, shifted like a truck. On mine Reverse failed (in the MIata, 1st-Reverse is Syncromesh, a somewhat rare configuration).

Comparing the two is a perfect example of how small details can make a huge difference.

And yes, Redline MTL (70w80) or MT90 (preferred, SAE 90) are the fluids to use in either.

I would be surprised to learn the cut of the gear teeth had much of an effect ... most any manual transmission sold in the last 50 years has helical cut gears; straight-cut is only found in aftermarket racing transmissions, and you'd know it because they are really noisy. The material and design of the syncros probably play a much larger role.

another vote for Redline MT-90, improved my VW's O2J 5 spd with poor known syncros, but although better after the change it improved even more after a few more thousand miles. that is of course a shared tranny being a lame FWD!

Can someone explain notchy? Mine goes about half way in gear then you need a little extra force to get it to move the rest of the way?

Is that it?

Interesting. Thanks guys. Yes. Notchy is essentially that. For me it's kind of a chunk chunk feeling going into gear. Punctuation kicked my butt there. I didn't mean to compare the ranger Trans to a miatas. Both have their merits but I would kill to have a miatas 5 speed in the ranger...no to do something about the handling. Lol

I guess I can live with the notchiNess. The trouble with any type of gear lube is its cold properties for me....it's get really cold up here and I've heard guys having issue even at 9 cst or so.

I'm typing from my cell by a campfire...my skills aren't perfect.

As long as the notchy feel is a healthy thing...I'll chalk it up to charm. Lol

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I have found Redline MTL to be the best at fixing this issue. It'll take a doggy tranny that really fights gear changes and make it smooth as silk and lighting quick. And best of all, the synchro's work fine. It's my go-to fluid for "notchy" trannies
smile.gif

Ive used redline due to the amount of praise, but I've found Amsoil to last longer with the best feel.

What that tells me, is that the fluid has a lot to do with shift feel, and that the fluid additives deplete and affect shift feel in time.

If one isn't forcing things hard, it's likely ok and only a minuscule difference in wear patterns or anything else. However, sustained best feel is likely the lowest wear approach, and IMO Amsoil delivers that.

Notchy can mean MTF fluid is shot or Synchro is acting up. I did a 1 to 1 in my Sunfire SE of GM Synchromesh and Redline MTL and is smoothed right out. The next time I did 2 MTL and it was better but not 50 percent better. I think just changing it often helps more than anything to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back