Is this normal? Wix 57356

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
So I have swapped it with a 51356......

Which uses the 'exact' same Wix traditional thread end bypass as the 57356, but is no longer spec'd for Honda vehicles by Wix. The traditional thread end bypass in the 51356 is just more difficult to see/examine in it's uncut state because of it's baseplate design. Also the 51356 has smaller filter element than the 57356. All things considered, including smaller element and no filter warranty, seems like a lose lose 'to me'.

Unfortunate imo the irrational fears pseudo internet engineers sow. Wix has been using this design for as long as I can remember. funflyer post has it right, use with confidence, I'll continue to. And at div>

So what you are saying is that the bypass valve design and construction is the same for both filters but for one is upfront (57356) and for the other one is at the bottom (51356)? Maybe I will do the 57356 next time around.

Quote:
...So what you are saying is that the bypass valve design and construction is the same for both filters ...

What I'm saying is, the spec'd 57356 you took back and the 51356 you chose, both use the exact same thread end (base end) bypass design, ie., in the same location. When you finish, cut it open and see. It's just more difficult to see the thread end bypass in the 51356 in it's new undissected form.

I wouldn't use the filter the OP posted but I will use the Wix NAPA that I have. I inspect all filters at the store and closely again at home. If I am not comfortable with anything it doesn't get used. I would treat the OP's filter just like one that had a small dent. Sure it is probably ok, but why chance it.

Okay, here's one cut open. Notice the nice smooth disk surfaces where the rubber seal makes contact, no chance of the seal being torn. The seal is retained by a .100" outer flange so it would require an extreme off center condition during manufacture for it to leak, something that would be very obvious for anyone, except maybe Stevie Wonder. Also notice how the removed seal is devoid of any waviness which it had before disassembly. The waves are not a defect but rather the result of rubber being compressed slightly while under spring pressure. The seal is also very strong and flexible like a tire inner tube and just as hard to tear.

wwno1y.jpg

9pta2a.jpg

2mxh6wm.jpg

34gah4y.jpg

^^^^Though you didn't need to do it for me as I know it to be no issue whatsoever, thanks for the teardown, explanation and confirmation. Excellent clear pics btw. As said, I'll continue to use Napa Gold filters with complete confidence. And ironically here, the OP got the exact same bypass design you dissected with the 51356 as the topic 57356.

As with the Fram Ultra centertube burrs hysteria and filters using louvered centertubes (properly formed), much ado about nothing.

Pseudo engineers find all kinds of defects. Tears, burs, cuts, they are an observant bunch. Problem is the resume of the pseudo engineers isn't the topic.
Good to see the rubber seal opened. It has to move .1" to leak, but if the machine hiccups, there it is. To me, when I see the first picture and say hey maybe the seal isn't in place, I didn't think it was the beginning of WWIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back