Is this electrical/construction quote reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to gain some perspective on whether the quote below is at least reasonable. This contractor has a great reputation, is licensed and insured, and I expect to use him again for other work, so I would like to go with him so long as the quote is in a range of reasonableness. I need to have this work done next week so I really don’t have the time to bring in a bunch of other quotes, but will if the quote below is way out of line.

I am having a hot tub installed in an enclosed patio. The installation is covered in the hot tub price, but I need to provide the electrical hook-up. Also, my door to the enclosed patio is too low so I need to have the door removed and the header cut out to allow the 7’ tub to get in. Since the door is in bad shape, I am having a new door and header installed after the tub is in. The new door (~$200) is included in the quote below.

The electrical hook-up will run from my circuit box, underground to a 3’ wide walkway, go under the walkway, and continuing underground to the patio where it will come through the wall to the tub connection. The electrical cable must be minimum 240v/50 amp 3 wire plus ground (#6 AWG copper), and will be about 60’ long.

I would appreciate any input from those here who have some experience in this kind of work.

Thanks!

Tom NJ

I haven't done that type of work in many years, but this does look reasonable.

What will the hot tub cost, installed Presume? I didn't see anything listed for plumbing. Is that included?

Good luck, I'd love to have a hot tub.

Tom, you probably have a good idea of the scope of work involved, perhaps better than we do. I wouldn't say the price is out of line. It looks like they have at least two mobilizations, possibly with multiple sub contractors. The only comment I have is they're putting the liability of the work permit on you. If you know that a permit is required, I would move on that if you haven't already done it, since it sometimes takes time for that, and they may want to see drawings, etc. If you've already taken care of the permit, then just kindly disregard my comment.

Looks reasonable to me, especially considering they need to tunnel under a walkway to get the line out to the hot tub.

What kind of hot tub are you looking at?

One issue I can see...

Here, in my locality, whoever obtains the permit is the party that is responsible for making it right, if the work does pass inspection or meet whatever electrical code requirements are necessary. (i.e. NEC 2014).

Therefore, if Mr. Tom gets the permit, that would make *him* liable if the electrician's workmanship or choice of materials does not meet code requirements, and has to be re-done to pass inspection.

I ran into this mess first-hand. I had a contractor fail to apply for a permit. To clear it up as quickly as possible, I went to City Hall to get a permit. That's when I was informed of the above.

1. GFCI breaker?
2. Exterior grade silicone.
3. Existing patio foundation P&B or slab-on-grade? Is it up to the task of holding this new load?
4. How will you deal with the heat + moisture load if installed within an "enclosed" patio? I noticed the use of interior sheetrock. Those will be some damp walls over time. Further, the interior surface of the exterior metal door will sweat and moisture will pool below.
5. Watch out for existing sprinkler PVC when trenching for conduit.

Thanks all. The hot tub is a MasterSpa 7' tub that seats four plus one laying down. The installation is included in the price but I need to provide the electrical hook-up. I'm not sure if a permit is needed and have asked the contractor. If needed I'll make sure I get one. The tub will be on a ground level slab. The contractor is a professional master electrician with long experience, so I will trust him to do the job right.

As for humidity, the enclosed patio has a door into the kitchen which will be left open. I also will install an exhaust fan in the wall above the tub, and will add a dehumidifier if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back