10W30 In My Engine=Quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Again, just because the oil cap is stamped XWXX or XXWXX doesn't mean the engine HAS to use that oil.

Why not ? If everybody went by the cap, all discussions on this board would be limited to brands and additive packs. You'd eliminate 1/3 of all the threads instantly.
grin2.gif

WOW! Isn't that the truth!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
....But, it just goes to show the "5W20 GESTAPO" on the forum that an engine oil cap stamped "5W20" doesn't necessarily mean the engine has to use that oil.
cool.gif

And particularly when said engine was originally specced/designed for 5W-30....and was later back specced to 5W-20 without internal engine changes, just to appease the politically correct enviro-mentals.

You mean like my ECHO which I've run 0W-20 in it since about 100,000 miles? Or my Sienna where I ran 5W-20 from about 150,000 miles to over 300,000?

We're not talking about a Toyota. Different engine, different noises ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: 4WD
BL - was it T6 you have called a "35" ?
I think my M1 10w30 HM looks like/acts like a "35" too ...

Yup, I think of Rotella T6 as 5W-35
laugh.gif

Yep, same with the Aussie semi-syn Magnatec 10W-30 and the full syn Edge 5W-30, they are both rated A3/B4 so they have a HTHS of 3.5 to 3.6 cP and KV100 of 12.0 to 12.4 cSt. Plus the bonus of a TBN of 10 to 11 for the two Castrol products. I also very much like the look of M1 10W-30 HM with a HTHS of 3.5 cP, it's an A3/B3 oil.

For comparison an ILSAC 30 weight would have a HTHS of about 3.0 cP and a KV100 of about 10.5 cSt.

Two very different types of oils, either ILSAC xW-30 or A3/HDEO xW-35.

With some High Mileage oils sitting on the fence, such as M1 5W-30 HM with a HTHS of 3.3 cP

Last edited:
Again, just because the oil cap is stamped XWXX or XXWXX doesn't mean the engine HAS to use that oil.

Why not ? If everybody went by the cap, all discussions on this board would be limited to brands and additive packs. You'd eliminate 1/3 of all the threads instantly.
grin2.gif

My oil cap has the word "OIL" on it and a picture of an Oil Can.
No numbers or viscosity given.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
SR5: right on - that's a collection right there ... Can't go wrong.

Hi 4WD,

We don't get the M1 HM oils here, but I wish we did. Same with stuff like Rotella 5W-40, not available in Australia.

Still I'm very happy with the OZ Edge & Magnatec oils. We get Magnatec 10W30 semi-syn that is SN & A3/B4, Magnatec 5W30 full synthetic that is SN & A3/B4, Edge 5W30 full synthetic that is high zinc (SL) & A3/B4 & BMW LL-01 & MB 229.5, and a full synthetic Edge 10W30 that is SN & GF-5 & A5/B5. Those four 30 weight oils keep me out of trouble.

In Australia I'm all over the Castrol products, but if I was in the States I would be all over the M1 HM oils.

Copy that SR5: I have been in and out of Oz a few times and find the vehicles there interesting - would love to have that Ford Ranger diesel 4x4 over this way ...
PS: nicest 57 Chevy I have ever seen was in MEL ... And she sounded like some serious cam and compression was on the ready ...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think it's high time someone runs a test with a calibrated decibel meter for different oils on the same day

I'll take the guy's word for it, jeez...

Would you, though, if he said that Mobil 5w-30 was the quiet example?
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back