STP additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, while getting a FRAM ultra filter at Wal mart other day I heard a older man say "I always use a bottle of STP oil treatment every oil change." Dunno how good it is but I just shook my head and left as I don't believe adding additives to good motor oil will help. What do you folks say or think?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4192763/STP_Oil_Treatment,_new_version#Post4192763

lol.gif
It's called Wally World automotive department pearls of wisdom. It must be work, right. Kinda reminds of pearls I read now from a frequent poster on the OF board.
wink.gif

Don't even know what STP oil treatment is now, back in the day it was a can of very thick lubricant.

And Andy Granatelli promoted the heck out of it.

Your correct. Almost all WM's oil additives do nothing helpful. And aside from the Gumout Regane series/Royal Purple fuel additives,those dont work either.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
lol.gif
It's called Wally World automotive department pearls of wisdom. It must be work, right. Kinda reminds of pearls I read now from a frequent poster on the OF board.
wink.gif

Don't even know what STP oil treatment is now, back in the day it was a can of very thick lubricant.

I think Richard Petty promoted it even more.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
lol.gif
wink.gif

I think Richard Petty promoted it even more.

Yes, Richard Petty is the reason STP brand is what it is. Perhaps one of the best marketing moves STP made.

Well perhaps some associate STP with Petty. But it was Granatelli as CEO of STP that put together the deal that brought STP sponsorship to Petty and Nascar. So for me, it's Granatelli.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/a...ty-sponsor.html

OK, for years it was the #1 oil additive in the world.
wink.gif
I always associated the product with Richard Petty.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, while getting a FRAM ultra filter at Wal mart other day I heard a older man say "I always use a bottle of STP oil treatment every oil change." Dunno how good it is but I just shook my head and left as I don't believe adding additives to good motor oil will help. What do you folks say or think?

I would say if he is happy using it, then marketing has done it's job.

Yep, there is always at least one lunatic in every Wallymart!

STP is just an oil thickner and it makes much more sense to just use a thicker oil if that is your aim.

About 90% of oil additives either don't work or are not needed.

If you have an engine with a clearly defined issue relating to lubrication, then try looking at the Liqui Moly range of oil additives. They make a very effective flush for use at idle just before an oil & filter change (Amsoil and Castrol Classic also make similar products) and a real good anti wear additive called Ceratec that has both Moly and Boron Nitride.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

Yep, there is always at least one lunatic in every Wallymart!

STP is just an oil thickner and it makes much more sense to just use a thicker oil if that is your aim.

About 90% of oil additives either don't work or are not needed.

If you have an engine with a clearly defined issue relating to lubrication, then try looking at the Liqui Moly range of oil additives. They make a very effective flush for use at idle just before an oil & filter change (Amsoil and Castrol Classic also make similar products) and a real good anti wear additive called Ceratec that has both Moly and Boron Nitride.

Pretty much true. I have used it in the past to reduce burning in an engine on a newly acquired used car beater with a fresh oil change. And the beloved, dearly departed red bottle formula here did have lots of zinc in it making it a potentially good additive for some older cars. But other than that, it's just silly to even think of putting this stuff in a modern engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back