What tires you rolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tundra: Michelin LTX MS2 and Hankook iPike. The Michelins are doing pretty good, something like 7/32's left after 60k or so, traction (outside of snow and dirt) has been good. The iPikes haven't got many miles but really make it go through snow.

Camry: General RT43's, just put on a new set, as the last wore out after 43k or so. Well, not all 4 were at the wear bar, but close enough. traction has been good in all conditions, or I should say, sufficient to our needs.

2011 2500 Duramax summer 275/65/20 LTX AT (never again), winter 275/65/20 Hankook RW-11 studded on 20x9" wheels.
2013 1500 GMC 265/60/20 Goodyear SRA. Best tire for the money and have 18/32nds, but spec 16/32 in the book.
2013 Matrix, summer 225/50/17 Hankook Optimo S4 V98, winter Blizzak 215/55/17, both on 17x7.5" wheels.
Beater crew cab fleet; 285/75/16 re-cap Bandag BDRW 27/32" that out-last the tire case.
Lifted beast; 40/13.5/17 Goodyear MTR.

1997 4Runner Limited 2WD: Michelin LTX MS/2 & Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
2013 Highlander Hybrid Limited AWD: Falken Ziex 950 A/S & Yokohama Iceguard IG51

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Explorer = Nexen Roadian HP P255/50R20 with 7K on them. So far they were well worth the risk of using no-name tires--especially for the cost. I would definitely buy them again.

I wouldn't exactly call Nexen no-name.. they do over $1 billion in annual sales. Not exactly a household name but they've been around.

Nexen is also an OE supplier, and even Porsche is going to have an OE Nexen fitment soon
smile.gif

Let's see:

'94 E350 General Grabbers, seem pretty okay with no evidence of weather damage.
'95 BMW 318iC, Cooper CS4s that recently replaced a set of the new General Altimaxes it came on after around 56K. The Generals held up well, remained balanced and round and just lacked enough remaining tread to be unexciting in heavy rain.
'99 Subaru Legacy wagon General Altimax. I put these on about a year ago to replace the scary aging Bridgestones the car came on.
'01 Focus, the Primewells the car came on. These may not have great snow grip, but they are wearing like iron and show zero weather damage.
'02 Accord, on the Firestone Affinity Tourings it came on. These also may not have great snow grip but after 30K they too are wearing like iron.
'09 Forester, Pure Contacts, nice tires good in all conditions. These replaced the OEM Yokos at around 56K.
'12 Accord, around 56K on the OEM Dunlops, which have remained in balance. If this were spring, I'd go for 60K but it isn't, so these will get replaced with Pirellis next month. I have them in the garage having bought them after receiving a killer price in an email from Belle Tire. I was leaning toward these anyway, since another member had reported great results with these tires on his same MY Accord.

No Michelins on anything these days. Not enough tire these days for the cost IMHO although I had very good results with them in the past, including the longest tire life I've ever seen with a P tire, 92K from a set of MXLs on one of our '86 Civic Wagons

Coupe and Roadster: Both on Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Sedan: Michelin Premier A/S
4wd SUV: Toyo Open Country A/T II
Street Bikes: Both on Bridgestone RS-10's
Dirt Bike: Bridgestone intermediates

2010 fusion sport - goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric a/s
2011 mustang (650 rwhp) - michelin pilot super sport 255/305
2011 focus ses - goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric a/s
2012 focus se - michelin premier a/s
1998 windstar - douglas a/s

Originally Posted By: SR20DE

Explorer = Nexen Roadian HP P255/50R20 with 7K on them. So far they were well worth the risk of using no-name tires--especially for the cost. I would definitely buy them again.
I wouldn't exactly call Nexen no-name.. they do over $1 billion in annual sales. Not exactly a household name but they've been around.
Fair enough, but they (at least at this point), are not known at all, not even in the top 10 in the US, are they?. When I originally inquired about them many folks waved me away from them. As I said previously, I would not hesitate to buy them again.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Nexen is also an OE supplier, and even Porsche is going to have an OE Nexen fitment soon
smile.gif

You will NEVER, NEVER see that in Germany.
It depends on market!

Both vehicles still have the stock rubber.

Tacoma - Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

Highlander - Toyo A20 Open Country

General RT43 on the GFs AWD matrix in 16". Awesome tires. Super quiet and comfy. Done several road trips into the mountains with them and they have been great every time. No complaints at all aside from that they pick up stones a bit.

Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 on my MR2. 16" 205/45 front and 225/50 rear. Picked these up as a 3 season summer oriented tire. They are pretty good for what they are (budget summer oriented all season) and most importantly, for me, they are extremely predictable. This was the one thing I was looking for most when picking these up for the new wheels on my new-to-me MR2.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR20DE

Fair enough, but they (at least at this point), are not known at all, not even in the top 10 in the US, are they?. When I originally inquired about them many folks waved me away from them. As I said previously, I would not hesitate to buy them again.

You're right on that point, they're not top 10 as of 2015. They were at # 18. http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20150908/NEWS/309079978

2011 Mazda6 - General Altimax RT 205/65R16, 4 years old, 56k miles, 5/32" tread left

Speaking of tires - I helped a coworker out the other day putting on his spare tire on his beater car. His rear tire blew out on his way to work - sidewall was all jacked up. All four tires on the car have different tread depths and are different brands.

Last edited:
2014 Passat TDI: Summer - Bridgestone Turanza EL400 02 245/45R18 (OEM) / Winter - Michelin X-Ice Xi 215/60R16
2006 Sienna: Summer - Michelin Destiny 215/65R16 / Winter - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 215/65R16

The OEM Bridgestones haven't been as bad as many have said, but they definitely are very loud.

The X-Ice Xi3 I have found less than impressive on snow and ice. Especially ice. Not horrible, but definitely not all they are cracked up to be.

The Michelin Destiny has been a star performer. With not much usable tread left, they continue to have good traction and reasonable road noise, even at a point where I would look to get rid of most tires a little bit early. I will probably run them one more summer next year.

2002 Ford Ranger 2WD - 235/75R15 - Yokohama Geolandar AT: About 35K miles on them now, will need replacement in about 10K. This truck wears through entire sets of tires quickly, so that's actually not bad life compared to past sets.

1994 Ford Ranger 4WD - 235/75R15 - Crosswind L780: Yep, went with Chinese tires for now. One of the 2/3rds worn mud tires it had got a nail puncture that wasn't safe to repair except for off road use. The truck is mostly driven on pavement right now, so I decided to go with the cheapest highway tire I could get. I have actually been impressed with these...very quiet, decent in rain, and fuel economy went up a little. I am considering these for the other truck when it needs tires.

Hercules Terra Trac AT with about 40,000 miles on them, brand new Michelin LTX AT2 sitting in the garage waiting to go on next in few months after I put the snow tires on for winter.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
....Speaking of tires - I helped a coworker out the other day putting on his spare tire on his beater car. His rear tire blew out on his way to work - sidewall was all jacked up. All four tires on the car have different tread depths and are different brands.

lol.gif
That would drive me nuts, completely throw off my 'Feng Shui'. But strokes for folks and it is a "beater" or sometimes affectionately referred to as a 'hooptie' in these parts.

Currently running a set of Gen RT43's on Accord, Cooper HTP on Tacoma, both purchased from DT naturally. Also set of OE GY Assurance Fuel Max on Accord. Now transferred Civic running a set of Cooper CS5 Grand touring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back