What tires you rolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, 225/40/19
Winter: Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3, 205/55/17

Wish I could get a summer tire with a firmer sidewall without sacrificing wet grip. There doesn't seem to be any such thing. For now at least, the Pilot Super Sport seems utterly dominant.

No complaints about my winter tire, but I'm not blown away by it either. Strongly considering trying a Nokian tire next time around.

02 Chevy Silverado: Bridgestone Dueler Alenza P265/70R16

2012 Accord EX-L - Stock Michelin Pilot 17" 41K miles. Soon to be replaced, most likely with Pirelli P7 Centuratos or Continental Pure Contacts.

M235i: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Wrangler Sahara: BFG All-Terrain T/A KO

318ti Club Sport: Dunlop Direzza Star Spec(soon to be replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)

Speed Triple: Pirelli Diablo

2004 X3 2.5i: Michelin Premier A/S

2009 328i: Primacy MXM4 ZP

'07 Explorer, Summer: Michelin Latitude Tour HP, P245/65/17. Work fine except winter traction, thus...
'07 Explorer, Winter: Hankook Winter IPike RW11, P245/70/16. Satisfied with performance here.
'16 F150, Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar, LT275/65/18 LRC OEM on the truck, happy so far. Are also Severe Snow Rated, so will give them a shot this winter.

Tacoma - Vogue Custom Radial VIIs
I've got a little over 10k on them so far and am happy with their performance during everyday driving. They seem to ride smooth and quiet. It will be interesting to see how they handle the snow and ice this winter. I've gotten positive comments on their appearance from a few old guys
smile.gif

Mark IV - Mastercraft A/S IV -
Only a few miles on these. They look like the cheapest of the cheap. When I picked them up at Walmart they seemed to have very thin, flexible tread and sidewalls.

Let's see....

The 300 got a new set of TrueContacts this week, I've been very happy with the 3 sets I've had on that car

Camry got a new set of Premier A/S in June, much better than the factory Bridgestone Turanzas

Taurus is still running it's mismatched pair of Primacy MXV4's and Premier A/S, because I lose at least 1 tire a winter on our wonderful roads

Villager rolls on warrantied Assurance ComforTread Tourings that replaced dry rotted Assurance Fuel Max's, that I'm indifferent towards

I have Michelins on all three vehicles now. Having to buy three sets in less than 10 days was a pain. What I have now: Defenders on 97 Camry, Premiere on the 08 Volvo and 14 Camry. When I say that I have tires on these particular cars, it's true. Any tire that satisfies me will leave my wife much more than satisfied. My wife's opinion on tires is that your car should have some.

I deliberated a lot, especially for the 97 because there are so few choices. Michelin has not been particularly good mileage wise lately. Ultimately I decided that while mileage is important to me, it's down there in about 4th place. First through third place are pretty much equal and they are: (1) the tires come round and with proper care stay round. I'm talking no vibration through the wheel through the entire treadlife. (2) Tires must be quiet. and (3) the tires must do well in the wet, especially in the rain given that I live in NC.

Michelin basically does all three of my top three criteria well. The Premiere is spectacular in wet weather. If these tires need replacement before 30K is up, I'll reassess. Otherwise, I'm loving the spectacularly comfortable and quiet ride as well as the exceptional wet weather performance.

F-250 = Michelin LTX A/T2 LT275/65R20 with 23K on them. They are POS and I will not buy them again.

Explorer = Nexen Roadian HP P255/50R20 with 7K on them. So far they were well worth the risk of using no-name tires--especially for the cost. I would definitely buy them again.

PSD - part of the magic that is Michelin results in too much chipped rubber on my off-road applications - and exaggerated traction hype on wet roads. And replacement cost of Pilots on a freaking Cruze tells me GM bought them for WTH less than I could.
Whilst they are great architects of the "layers" and tread design - objective people must know they use hard rubber for the long haul. I don't get hung up on one tire brand fits all ...

Prius - Michelin Premier A/S
Accord - Michelin Premier A/S
Altima - Michelin Premier A/S
Previa - Pirelli P4

You get what you pay for from tyre companies, so I only use top of the range Continental or Dunlop winter and summer tyres. I would be happy to use Goodyear or Michellin, but would be careful with Pirelli as some of their cheaper models were not so good. Their top of the range models are good.

Forget the budget jobs as stopping distance figures in the wet are very important!

Equinox - Mastercraft Strategy: Decent tire, smooth and quiet on the road. Good in rain, waiting for snow
Malibu - Cooper Lifeliner GLS: similar results to the Mastercrafts. I run Yokohama snows in the winter. great winter tire
Terrain - New vehicle, Michelin latitudes. First pair of Michelins I have owned, nice tire. No complaints.

BMW X5: Bridgestone Dualer H/L 400 RFT
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2

VW Tiguan: Continental Extreme Contact DWS
Winter: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70

Focus has new this summer BFG sport comp2 in 195/55R15. Great street tire, great grip in wet and dry. I'm using them for autocross and they are great for the 1st half of the run, but then overheat and start losing grip.
In winter I have Yoko ig52c in 185/65R15, this will be the 4th winter and they are hanging in there. Not the greatest deep snow tire, but excellent manners on pavement and good on ice.
CRV has Multimile wild country xtx sport all weather all terrain tires, 215/70R16. Great so far off road and reasonably quiet on road, should be good in deep snow too with the tread depth and pattern, we'll see how they do on ice. I should look up the plant code to see who actually makes them but they are made in the US atleast. No other tire manufacturer offers all terrain all weather tires in this size except for Nokian but they were all sold out in this size.

'14 FXT - Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons, 225/55/18, about 8000 miles.
These are very fun tires that are also serviceable for freak fall or spring snowstorms. This car has Goodyear Ice Grip WRTs waiting for winter, trying to get a third season out of them and they still look pretty decent...I will definitely be done with them by the end of next winter no matter what.
'15 Impreza - General Altimax RT43s, 195/65/15, about 5000 miles.
Had these mounted on my daughter's car to replace OEM tires that I did not trust. They got her through a winter in our hilly area with no trouble, but it was a mild winter and she does not have to drive in bad storms as her school will be cancelled.
'06 Avalon - Michelin Primacy MXV4s, 215/55/17, probably about 25000 miles.
Decent all season tires, my wife refuses to consider snow tires and she still gets stuck during storms on a regular basis due to running AS tires on a FWD car and driving in conditions she should know she cannot handle. She usually gets stuck on the steep hill up to our neighborhood and calls me begging for help...sometimes she even gets stuck in our driveway (also steep).

Last edited:
Robert: changed Toyo AT for Firestone AT and went from "Flintstone to Firestone" in terms of ride and handling.
I'm thinking they are just 40k tires - but I caught one of the 4th tire free sales ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
PSD - part of the magic that is Michelin results in too much chipped rubber on my off-road applications - and exaggerated traction hype on wet roads.
The Michelin MS/2 tires on my 2010 FX4 were perfect, 80K with towing and tread still remaining. These AT/2 tires are pure garbage and I am not the only one who thinks so after reading dozens of reviews online. For those who say you get what you pay for, nothing could be further from the truth regarding this Michelin model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back