60V Cordless Dewalt Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the 6Ah 20V/60V batteries at the local store. They were on sale, a twin-pak for $180 !

Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
Any cordless tools use brushless DC motors yet?

The Milwaukee Fuel is brushless. I'm sure there are others.

Originally Posted By: dareo
60v grinder, cool. I have the 20v version and i love it, but it does destroy a battery in like 20 minutes. I guess angle grinders just require a ton of electricity.

Its a decent cordless grinder(20v) but its not brushless. I'd rather a brushless motor in that application it really benefits.

Makita has one but I dont really want 3 battery systems.
frown.gif

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Vol...AG03Z/205623191

The 60v dewalt is brushless, equivelent to 13amp corded power.. and the batteries are backwards compatible.

OTOH I'm sure its extremely pricey and I dont need more dewalt batteries.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Are you still using 18V or 20V tools? What a wuss.
grin.gif
lol.gif

Dewalt has a new line of 60V tools. The batteries are actually dual voltage, at 20V/60V. They can also be paired for 120V, for the cordless table saw.

http://flexvolt.dewalt.com/en-us/

Overkill, or truly useful?

In another 10 years will we be seeing 240V cordless tools?
crazy2.gif

But it's 120v DC. A normal outlet is 120v AC.
Diodes to convert AC to DC for line operation are cheap.

You would need a bridge. There would still be ripple. It wouldn't be isolated. And you're losing lots of power due to diode forward voltage. Much better to just use an AC motor rather than 'convert'.
Diode foward voltage drop is about .7 volts generally which doesn't produce much of a drop since only two conduct at a time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spackard

Yes, 3 or 4 years ago.

All Milwaukee "Fuel" tools are brushless. Its the tool not the battery.

I don't get it. What technological breakthrough allowed DeWalt to decide to use series cells instead of parallel cells? Same power and same desnity and there are no long distances involved where one has to overcome resistive losses. This looks like a gimmick to me.

If this technology were real, we would have first seen being employed else where such as laptops etc.

I am suspecting marketing rather than engineering is driving this at DeWalt. (And I am a DeWalt fanboy)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
DC motors can be more compact thanks to permanent magnets. (Think permanent magnet mini starter on a car and how much power it has)

That's just part of the story. You're right, but a mini starter is so small because it only has to perform intermittent duty. A motor with the same requirements that needs to run continuously would have to be bigger so that cooling could be taken into account.

(Go ahead and say it: "Gee, thanks Captain Obvious!")

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
Wow, cool. For me with occasional, home use, the initial costs and future replacements batteries would make them impractical for me. But 60v tools would be awesome for those in the building trades.

I agree. Cool technology. Ryobi engineers must be working overtime to design new stuff for home depot.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
60 volts is high enough to be very careful with. There should be protection against shorts in such batteries, but don't rely on it.

+1, thats right around the dielectric of skin!

Originally Posted By: spackard

Yes, 3 or 4 years ago.

+1, old news...

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I agree. Cool technology. Ryobi engineers must be working overtime to design new stuff for home depot.

DeWalt = Black and Decker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back