Alignment after replacing ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a busy weekend for my Accord. Along with the rad cap, I changed out the lower ball joints. The factory ones were beginning to creak and felt a little sloppy. Do I need to get an alignment now?

Car tracked straight before and still does now. Whatever alignment parameter the ball joints control (camber? caster?) should automatically be to spec now, no? Car has a double wishbone suspension BTW.

Last edited:
I'd get one. If it was aligned since the ball joints got much wear on them it'll be off, anyway, and if it wasn't it's been a while and wouldn't hurt just for maintenance. Though if you're content to judge by feel and tire wear patterns, it's not a necessity and may not be necessary. Just, if you don't have a go-to, don't just take it to the first place you come to. Alignments aren't something every place can get right and it can become a PIA real fast.

I would, couldn't hurt. But before I did I would take a second look to see if there is any more parts on the front end that need replacing first before doing an alignment. On the other hand, what's the worst that could happen? If it's off then you have to replace 2 tires in a few months.

Stick a lazer pointer on the front tires at 4 and 8 oclock aiming to the rear. Should just barely miss by 1/2 an inch +/- 1/2 inch.

Toe will eat your tires the worst; this checks that.

IDK how your joints fit; some are located quite securely and precisely by the LCA and others have slop in the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back