Google Play is Watching You

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it bothers you simply turn off location services entirely.

I do agree its abit shady.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Is there such thing as a benign cell phone nowadays?

iPhones are about as close. Apple tracks you but keeps it local to your phone or sends aggregated data to Apple. I trust them more than Google or Microsoft.

I was at a party talking to one of the neighborhood Mom's who was telling me she went out to get her mail and her mailbox was full of cell phones. Turns out her 16 year old daughter (who was at a "sleepover") had 5 friends who said they were all going to her home. They all stopped there and put their phones in the mailbox so their parents would track them to that address for the night. Then on top of that they were all using burner cell phones they bought at Walmart.

Pretty crafty kids.......
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Is there such thing as a benign cell phone nowadays?

Sure..any Android phone with a removable battery.

Originally Posted By: Rand

That doesn't work.

Google knows more about you than your spouse does. Just using the Google Play store means you have an Android device developed by Google and you use your GMail to log in. They see all of your email, searches, travel and to make sure they know 100% use Google Wallet to pay for it all.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Rand

That doesn't work.

Where does it say disabling location services entirely doesn't work?
You have a link to that?
It says the fine grained granting of permissions to apps(while location services are on)
isnt working.

In Fact in the article it says its annoying to turn location services on an off multiple times a day...

Even if google doesnt know where you are, your service carrier does. I was a network analyst in the earlier days of cellular and was tracking people even back in the 80's-90's on the old analog AMPS phone systems with a pretty decent level of accuracy. I had printouts of what channels were active in all the cell sites, what the signal levels were on most major roads, which cellsite antenna sectors served which areas, etc and could track a phone within a few city blocks just by looking handoff patterns and signal strengths. Helped the police find more than a few stolen cars that way.

With todays phones, even with the most basic, no frills model you can find they could probably tell you what room of your house you are in.

And yes, bored technicians working on the towers late at night do listen to your calls. All the time...99% of them were boring, but 1% were quite entertaining.

I can make a call, receive a call, hang up, and recently learned how to do & reply text. That's about it except my friends still rip on me for being behind times. I don't know if my ol flip phone could map anything, I know I can't. It's like multi-tasking = overloading me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back