1991 honda civic 1.5 died out fuel pump/air intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my mechanic replaced the fuel pump and the car was driving fine until like 10min the cel came on and it died out like 5min later but it fired back up and when i got home i popped the hood and noticed the air intake pipe was not connected to the air box can that possibly be why the cel light came on and the car died out? also he did not drain the old gas out the tank and put fresh gas in the tank does that matter? he also did not change the fuel filter anyway i can check if the fuel filter is good?.

Last edited:
The air pipe being off will not impair running. Dirty air will go into the engine of course. Clearly your mechanic did a terrible job.

Whenever a CEL comes on you should read the code. On that car you pull down the carpet on the firewall where the passenger's feet would be and count the LED blinks when you turn the key on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
How old are you???

Sounds a whole lot like someone we have all known on here before.

But maybe that's just me.

You cant really check a fuel filter per se - if it's clear you can look at it and if it's opaque you can try to blow through it but for the pennies they cost you might as well just put a new one in there.

And go back to your mechanic and have him fix it.

Unhooked air intake hose may have set the CEL, but I don't think it's related to your stalling problem. I'm not familiar with 91-era Civics, but I know from personal experience that Accords from that same era had problems with failing main relays causing intermittent stalling that usually resolved itself after a few minutes of being shut down. Maybe the same issue for your Civic?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
How old are you???

Sounds a whole lot like someone we have all known on here before.

But maybe that's just me.

Joseph was a lot more articulate...and used punctuation. It's not him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back