QSUD in Ecotec: 2 qts. consumed in 3K !

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly right; I see you guys go back and forth over specs and then some oil with fantastic specs like Mobil 1 causes severe engine noise in some people's cars. What a waste of time; I wanna know if the oil is gonna lubricate or not. If the engine's quiet, I know the oil's lubricating and doing its job.
grin2.gif

My poor Buick has already been subjected to a subpar oil; not gonna put it through that ordeal again.

And to think I paid somewhere between $21 and $23 for that junk.
33.gif

Check PCV valve. Maybe rings carboned or sticking? Try a PEA based fuel cleaner, c'ean throttle and take on 30 min. highway drive. Get a co-pilot.._give some gas on highway at wot, if it smokes its rings or valve guides.

I have heard the same thing happening with Mobil 1. I have 2 different friends that switched to Mobil 1 and started burning oil, when they switched back the oil consumption stopped

Update after 2 months:

1500 miles on the AC Delco dexos1 5W30, 75% oil life left. I've been checking each week; no movement of the level on the dipstick.

Perhaps the Regal simply did not "like" QSUD, in the same way as one of my cats loves dried squid (it smells like carrion to me, but it agrees with his system) and the other feline won't touch it.

After 4 months, 50% oil life left, 2980 miles, still no oil loss. Perhaps it'd be wise of me to stick with the AC Delco synblend and have the change done at the dealer, since they include tire rotation in the package.

Maybe Synblends don't leak as much as full synthetics in general. I tend to think that myself. Maybe the QSUD swelled a seal somewhere towards the end of it's OCI and the problem corrected itself. It's probably not worth going back and forth to investigate. Easier to just stick w what works.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Sometimes, it will take an OCI or two for things to stabilize. Of course, your engine may not "like" this particular oil, but it hasn't been really given much of a chance yet.

^ This. My 06 Forester never used more than 1/2 qt per 3k. Got a good deal on some Castrol and consumption went up to 1 qt per 3k. After 2 OC's with the Castrol, went back to M1 and consumption went back to 1/2 qt.

Nothing wrong with that plan - I'm good changing oil at home - but tire rotation with jacks/stands is a PITA ...

Update,

I changed to 5W-30 dexos MaxLife synblend in November. No problems until this week, when I checked the oil and found it down a quart at 1672 miles! Another quart of the same went in, bringing the level on the stick to midpoint. I'll keep a careful eye on it, and at the next change go back to the ACDelco oil from the dealer. It's convenient and only a couple of dollars more than buying the oil myself, and as I said above, includes the tire rotation.

Thanks for the update. My son has an '03 Cavalier with the 2.2L Ecotec and 156k on the clock. His last change was w the dealer Dexos1 5W-30 semi synthetic and his consumption seems to have gone up - 3 qts in 7k miles. He's switching to Castrol Edge (black bottle) Synthetic on Saturday to try and stem the consumption. We'll see what happens, it probably is just getting old and has sticky rings and blow by, but it does not smoke. He's getting the itch for a new Accord Coupe so the Cavalier doesn't have to last much longer.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Update,

I changed to 5W-30 dexos MaxLife synblend in November. No problems until this week, when I checked the oil and found it down a quart at 1672 miles! Another quart of the same went in, bringing the level on the stick to midpoint. I'll keep a careful eye on it, and at the next change go back to the ACDelco oil from the dealer. It's convenient and only a couple of dollars more than buying the oil myself, and as I said above, includes the tire rotation.

This stuff below really works to slow consumption and it's not a requirement that your tail-pipe be smoking anything wacky. Allow (2) OCIs for results using it and intended for 4-5qt crankcases.

In trucks involving huge capacities of oil (7qts), use 1-1/2 bottles. Those 6qt capacities can use 1-1/4 bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/CD2-4105-Engine-Leak-15oz/dp/B000AMBPAC

BTW... We only drive GM vehicles.

Last edited:
That drivetrain is garbage. We had the exact same issue with the 2.4 drinking oil since leaving the showroom floor.

The car was constantly at the dealer for warranty work, but they would never do anything about the oil.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
That drivetrain is garbage. We had the exact same issue with the 2.4 drinking oil since leaving the showroom floor.

The car was constantly at the dealer for warranty work, but they would never do anything about the oil.
THAT was an intelligent response. And from my own state nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I've had this car since early 2014. The 2.4 did not use oil until I switched to QSUD, the reason for this thread.

If this is the same engine that's found in the equinox and terrain then it is probably an engine problem rather than an oil problem. Best I can offer to you is to live with the issue. It sucks, but I feel that's all you can do.

Originally Posted By: stower17
If this is the same engine that's found in the equinox and terrain then it is probably an engine problem rather than an oil problem. Best I can offer to you is to live with the issue. It sucks, but I feel that's all you can do.

Five bucks for a quart of good oil every two months isn't gonna break me. This car has needed very little in repair and maintenance, and in return has been great to drive. When the time does come to replace it, I want another one!

When the rings wear and allow blow by into the crankcase, the oil turns black and it causes excess gases to vent into the intake plenum. This could be why you are finding oil there. If the air filter is restricted this can cause the intake to suck oil out of the crankcase. Take a close look at the oil filter and see if there is carbon/soot build up in the corners of the media where it meets the end cap. This would indicate the rings are worn.

My ecotec 2.2 burns synthetic oil a little faster than conventional. Maybe a syn blend is the way to go.

I've owned two LE5 2.4 Ecotecs, technically three because one had a critical unrelated oil failure about 30k ago under warranty.

Between 2007 and now I've run Castrol Edge (new and old) / Castrol Edge EP / Royal Purple (old) / M1 / Pennzoil Platinum / Pennzoil Ultra.

I have never had any consumption at all what so ever. I've run Hengst (Delco), Fram Ultra, and K&N oil filters.

My 1st one (2007 G5 GT) had issues with cam phasers, the 2nd one had an issue with a valve seat (current Malibu).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back