Ghosts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
yeti,

you missed the face-like apparition in the broken foundation immediately to the left of the larger woman (at thigh level).

Pretty much a non debate if either side(s) cannot provide any facts or proof. Anecdotal evidence is just that, anecdotal.

At least three major religions do believe in ghosts. Millions of opinions vs. millions of opinions. Thats all we have here. But, I agree, it is entertaining watching some of you get your knickers in a bunch over this. It just depends on which flavor of kool aid you succumb to.

good post.
people believe in leprechauns, fairies, that tom brady is the best of all time, astrology, fortune telling, to name a few. everybody has their own thing.
but, the purple thing IS a Vikings fan ghost.i mean ... what else could it be ?

Duh!

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
This picture is from 1943. This old farm house was built in the early 1700's and had three editions built to it prior to the Civil War. My grandmother is the lady at the right. Back in those days many funerals were held at the house.
As a kid this was a very spooky place. Knick knacks in the parlor room would move up and down the fireplace mantel and you would see shadows and hear many voices. This house was part of the "underground railroad" and its huge barns burned down in the Civil War.

I dug up this picture the other day and it was pretty much unknown. Sorry it is a picture of a picture but notice the open window up at the left....................

this thread is hilarious.
to assume that that mark is a ghost, per the thread title, is absurd ... but funny.

using your logic:
-what about the "squiggly" line in the lower left window ? must be a ghost.

-what about the second from the lower left window ... a grey spot with a small black dot? must be a ghost.

-what about the white thing on the grass, in front of the lady on the left ? must be a ghost.

-what about the purple object to the right of the woman on the right ?a ghost that's a Vikings fan ?

can't explain these things in the picture, so they could be/have to be ghosts. wow.

I don't believe in ghosts, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. who knows?

at any rate,thanks for a late morning laugh. wait -- I see a smudge on my monitor. don't know what it is ... must be a ghost. lol.
have a good day.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
The Civil War soldier that took his life in the attic, left behind a young male son around 10 years-old, at the time of dad's death.
That's him just outside the upstairs window. I sense he's there on a spiritual visit to see his father, whom I also sense was trapped in that home (for unknown reasons).

At the time of this photo, the son's energy-level was very strong. Very little translucency or holographic transmission of him present there.

could you expand on your assessment about it being the 10 yr. old boy ? I'm not trying to stir up any feces -- I'm just trying to understand your point of view. tia.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's not always nonsense Rivit.

Yes, it is. It's been proven to be nonsense time after time after time. There isn't a single shred of evidence to prove that it isn't.

Re your first point, it's impossible to prove that something doesn't happen or doesn't exist...can't prove a null hypothesis.

As to the latter, the observer effect in quantum physics clearly indicates that our interaction with the universe isn't simply black and white...we rely on the "fact" that 90% of the matter in the universes can't be seen or felt in order to make the universe work...that's strange.

There are some tantalising statistically significant effects that have been observed, in some pretty seriously controlled settings, but just like any endeavour where humans are involved, same thing on different days often produces different outcomes.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yes, it is. It's been proven to be nonsense time after time after time. There isn't a single shred of evidence to prove that it isn't.

Re your first point, it's impossible to prove that something doesn't happen or doesn't exist...can't prove a null hypothesis.

The burden of proof that something exists is on the person making the claim. If you can't prove that someone killed someone, then they're considered innocent or at least, not enough proof. People who make nonsense claims have been shown that their claims are nonsense because they can't provide any proof. Proof is required, otherwise you can make all kinds of outlandish claims every day. For instance you could say your father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. And your mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. Without proof, it's just nonsense.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Shannow

The burden of proof that something exists is on the person making the claim. If you can't prove that someone killed someone, then they're considered innocent or at least, not enough proof. People who make nonsense claims have been shown that their claims are nonsense because they can't provide any proof. Proof is required, otherwise you can make all kinds of outlandish claims every day. For instance you could say your father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. And your mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. Without proof, it's just nonsense.

Nice...

Without proof, it's just nonsense.

That describes an evidence based belief system. That would make everyone with a faith based belief system wrong?

I'm sensing that it's one of the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz who got sucked back to our world in the same tornado that took Dorothy and Toto to Oz. I sense he's still looking for the wicked witch, but can't find her because Dorothy melted her.

That's the wicked witch's legs sticking out from the bottom of the house!

Ding dong the witch is dead

Tom NJ (LMAO at this silly thread)

That describes an evidence based belief system. That would make everyone with a faith based belief system wrong?

That's where words like faith and religion come in. If it was logical and rational, you wouldn't need to use those words. They need to use the word faith because the very definition of it is belief without proof. It doesn't make the system wrong, it just means that they can't prove that it's right.

Science utilizes facts and logic to define truth. At this stage in mankind’s development we don’t have all of the facts yet, and so there continues to exist a world of thoughts, beliefs and theories that are Beyond Science, also known as FuFu Land. In FuFu Land one can believe and claim anything they want to, protected by the fact that they can’t be proven wrong. After all, we all know that if you can’t be proven wrong you must be right. Predators roam freely in FuFu Land, exploiting mankind’s innate gullibility knowing that people tend to believe what they want to believe or were taught to believe. A very profitable business indeed! In FuFu Land, science and truth are irrelevant – all that matters is that you are happy with your beliefs.

Unfortunately, most of mankind today continues to turn to old books for truth, books written by men who believed the world was flat and that the sun was pulled across the sky by a chariot. They believe that if the books are old, they must be true. The fact is that the universe was created by Gertrude, a pink and purple dinosaur who lives in my cellar and speaks only to me. I know this is true because you can’t prove it wrong. Praise Gertrude! Gertrude is not well known because she did not have an old book for people to cling to and thump, but that is being rectified. As we speak, she is writing her own book by substituting the name Gertrude in all of the existing old books wherever another deity is named (works just as well). Praise Gertrude!

If you are faithful and do what Gertrude says you will be rewarded by going to GertrudeLand (after you die of course). In GertrudeLand the streets are paved with gold, rivers flow with honey, and you will live happily ever after (oh wait, that one has been taken, make that streets of platinum and rivers of beer). Keep in mind that Gertrude sees you when you’re sleeping, knows when you’re awake, and knows if you’ve been good or bad, so don’t question this! You must believe or you will be wiped out by a huge meteor as she did to non-believers some 65 million years ago.

For a mere 10% of your income you can buy a ticket to Gertrude Land. Please send your checks to Gertrude, c/o Tom’s Cellar, FuFu Land, CA 90201 USA. You won’t be sorry, just trust me. Praise Gertrude!

Tom NJ

There's a huge difference between the subject of the post and "Gertrude Land" and the old book rewritings that have gone on for the last umpteen thousand years.

One is a "that's intersting, how does the universe work", and the other (Gertrude, and her incarnations) is manipulation and control...Murdoch knows how these things work, and is wildly successful.

Originally Posted By: rat
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: gman2304
'Both my wife and I are intelligent, rational people. Both atheists.'

^ LOL!

What is funny about that?

Yes, please explain.

I think the implication is that one cannot claim to be intelligent and rational while denying that we as humans were created with intelligent design, by a creator.

I think what people LOL'd about was the inclusion of 'atheist' as if it were somehow a prerequisite for being intelligent and rational. It's not, there is no correlation whatsoever. There are highly deductive, rational, and intelligent theists, and there are highly emotion-driven, illogical atheists. When you ask the question "what caused that?" long enough into the past, both atheists and theists come down to admitting that they can't prove what they believe, so it's all faith of one sort or another. Faith in a deity, or faith in some natural aspect of the universe that somehow doesn't obey any physics that we yet know. But everyone makes some extrapolation that can't be proven, so neither can claim any intellectual or rational thinking sort of superiority on theism or atheism alone. That claim has to be based more on how you approach much more mundane problems encountered daily.

I think the implication is that one cannot claim to be intelligent and rational while denying that we as humans were created with intelligent design, by a creator.

Just be careful not to fall off the edge of the flat earth.
-eyeroll

Originally Posted By: KzMitch

Just be careful not to fall off the edge of the flat earth.
-eyeroll

rat -- please do not discuss this fairy tale here, as you will get the thread locked.if you do want to discuss it, start a thread in the humor section.thank you.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Also, if souls are not religious, then why isn't it mentioned in any scientific literature and why isn't it a generally accepted fact? The only place they're mentioned are in religious texts.

Science is a religion too! ...

That's a false equivalency, the scientific method is hardly "religion". But yes, scientists are capable of bias. But science is not based on folklore and myths...

I don't believe in ghosts, per say, though do I love a good ghost story. I do leave open the possibility that parapsychology may explain some phenomena such as near death experiences and the like. The problem I have is that there are so many charlatans and scammers out there like the "demonologists" Warrens that make a good living exploiting peoples' gullibility. Also, if you check, you'll find that most dramatic "hauntings" such as the Amityville Horror have underlying financial motives (i.e. the victims of said haunting my be facing foreclosure or other financial hardships)...

Still, I do think there are some strange things that are difficult to explain...

The "monkeys" on this hot rock have really only figured out the tip of the iceberg of what's going on around them.

Wolf359 said:

They need to use the word faith because the very definition of it is belief without proof. It doesn't make the system wrong, it just means that they can't prove that it's right.

Wrong again! Those with faith are shown proof. Happens to me every week. Some of us are shown more than others, in spiritual terms. Such occurred to me just yesterday.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I don't believe in ghosts, per say, though do I love a good ghost story. I do leave open the possibility that parapsychology may explain some phenomena such as near death experiences and the like. The problem I have is that there are so many charlatans and scammers out there like the "demonologists" Warrens that make a good living exploiting peoples' gullibility. Also, if you check, you'll find that most dramatic "hauntings" such as the Amityville Horror have underlying financial motives (i.e. the victims of said haunting my be facing foreclosure or other financial hardships)...

Still, I do think there are some strange things that are difficult to explain...

We are living in the world of Demons. They even exist inside our earth.

Wolf359 said:

They need to use the word faith because the very definition of it is belief without proof. It doesn't make the system wrong, it just means that they can't prove that it's right.

Wrong again! Those with faith are shown proof. Happens to me every week. Some of us are shown more than others, in spiritual terms. Such occurred to me just yesterday.

I think you need to learn how to use a dictionary. If you have proof, you don't need faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back