The Snake Pit : Stripping a Late 80's Carburettor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mk378
There are universal fit radiator hoses which are corrugated in the center and have smooth ends to clamp on to the engine and radiator.

Thanks for your reply.

Re universal hoses, perhaps not here. In any case, no one I've approached so far has suggested it.

Assuming something is available I just have to keep trying until I encounter someone who can be bothered to help. The mechanic I've got to order stuff in the past has stopped trading.

Meanwhile, my improvisation is holding. If it busts I'll try another one. Washing machine hose?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mk378

Take the #1 spark plug out and probe the piston while turning the crank by hand to see if the mark you're using is zero degrees or something else. Setting base timing should be done with the vacuum advance disabled.

Its close to TDC. Probing the piston isn't accurate enough in my hands to tell if its a few degrees off, but there's a mark on the camshaft which is a few degrees off the flywheel mark. I can see nothing on the crankshaft pulley, though I've been told there should be.

My assumption is the camshaft is TDC and the flywheel mark is slightly (say 5 degrees) advanced. I guess I've put roughly another 5 degrees on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back