What can you live without on your autos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a beater 98 Toyota truck. 5 speed, AC broken, power steering broken, rear diff oil leak. If you have a vehicle you like and your state uses magnesium ice melt in winter, please have your car oil or fluid film sprayed yearly. I dd not and am paying the price.

I'll cheerfully skip a sunroof. Every Mercedes imported to America since the 1980s, it seems, had one. In CO I rarely used it: if the weather was hot, I didn't want more sunlight coming in; if it was cold, I wanted to be warm. And the sunroof on the '97 C-Class had a persistent rattle that came and went, and nobody could locate it. The Buicks were sunroof-free, as were my Oldsmobiles and Fords before that, and I'm fine with it.

Don't need heated seats, esp. living in the Swamp. And if it's cold, well, I'll be wearing warm clothes when I get in the car.

Don't want roll-up windows any more. With electric, I can run them down and drive to blow some of the hot air out of the car, then roll them all back up without having to twist myself to crank up the rear windows.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Leather seats. Never again, if I can avoid it.
The leather in my new Camry lets me get in and out without fighting the friction from cloth. Seat design is far more important in keeping you in place after you get in than the covering material. I wouldn't expect to see slippery leather in a race car seat.

I have only the basics A/C and Cruise. Can't live without them. I wish I had a moonroof. I always cheap out whenI buy and then 8+ years later I wish I had extras. Next (and last car) I buy (I am 70) will have a moon roof. I don't need a good stereo, power seats, etc. I have a very good sound system at home

Originally Posted By: Al
I have only the basics A/C and Cruise. Can't live without them. I wish I had a moonroof. I always cheap out whenI buy and then 8+ years later I wish I had extras. Next (and last car) I buy (I am 70) will have a moon roof. I don't need a good stereo, power seats, etc. I have a very good sound system at home

Keep what you have and get the full blown convertible for your last new car
smile.gif

But I get you.

oilBabe gets new cars, and usually a low end trim version. I buy used and have got the last few loaded up.

So I pay $5k for a 2003 Mazda Protege 5+ years ago. She pays over $20k for a 2010 Altima S 2.5L in December of 2009 and regrets not getting at least the SL trim level.

Had leather seats once before for several years, that was the first no go on my truck. Along with air suspension.

I don't like automatic A/C systems. I just want to turn the knob to maximum cold after I enter my car. I also don't like complex stereo systems. The only feature I want in the stereo system is an audio in jack. Changing stations and adjusting volume should work the same way now as it did in practically every car by the year 1987.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I have fond memories of my 1977 F100 that had no options, not even a radio. Manual steering, manual transmission, manual locks, manual windows, no power assist on the brakes. Basic stripped down pickup. It did have front disk brakes.

However, I would gladly take the same but with electonic fuel injection, electronic ignition, power brakes, and power steering, CD player, and a radio with simple controls.

X2. I'm happy with a pickup that has those basic features.

My 1994 Ranger has some odd factory features that I don't really use...power mirrors, power lumbar, power side bolsters, adjustable front bolsters. It does not have any other power interior features though...locks and windows are manual from the factory, and no cruise/tilt even though it has a factory leather wrapped steering wheel. It was ordered, not a regular stocked vehicle since it has a factory manual t-case and hubs (fully auto 4WD was standard on all trims in 1994, manual had to be ordered). I am fine with the oddball extras since they can't cause any real issues if they go bad.

My 2002 Ranger is optioned just about right, but I could do without the passive anti-theft. It has never caused problems for me, but the potential is there, and if I needed a replacement key, it would cost no less than $50 (vs. free for the '94).

Lose the leather...refund the $ of Sunroof...DEFINITELY refund the $ of 4 alloys...metallic paint (ages quicker than solid colors)...TPMS....and finally EXECUTE the guy who invented little windshield wipers on the headlights. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
. . . and finally EXECUTE the guy who invented little windshield wipers on the headlights. Kira

Aw, come on, they're sorta cute, like toys. The headlight wiper inserts on my W126 Mercedes were like windshield wipers for a scale model car.

They came in handy a few times when I lived in CO, as they would brush dirty snow and slush off the lights when I drove in bad weather. But I wouldn't want to pay extra for 'em even if I lived there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back