Emergency Substitute for GL-4 75w-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a manual transmission 99 Nissan Almera 1.6L, with the RS5F31A transmission which calls for GL-4 only oil, 75w-90.

I've developed a serious leak, and the gear case is almost empty. I'm going to install replacement oil seals, but the problem is that the nearest place that sells GL-4 only oil is an hour drive away.

Is there something I could use as a temporary substitute for a few days until I get a chance to drive out to the place which has the correct oil?

I would think that a GL-5 that holds an MT-1 rating will protect the yellow metals.

There's plenty of info on here if you do a search.

Tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid usually is GL4 rated. We ran 10W30 engine oil in our 1992 Nissan Sentra manual trans without issues for years too. Many GL5 oils claim to be OK with yellow metals now, running it for a while and then dumping it wouldn't matter much in the long term. Any oil will be better than none if it comes to that, 15W40 diesel oil would be something I try too.

If the weather is above 10C run SAE30 or 10w30HD. Never found GL-5 with MT to work well in a MT, modern or otherwise. Id stay away.

Originally Posted By: sailorbob74133
Is there a specific reason why a few people have mentioned 10w30, as opposed to some other grade of engine oil like 20w50, etc...

10W-30 is commonly recommended as a substitute oil in many owner's manuals.

Synthetic engine oil in the 10w40 or 5w40 range is what is RECOMMENDED for my daughter's Jeep (Aisin) manual trans. Not just "in emergency use," but INSTEAD OF GL-4. You can look at the viscosity chart on the home page of BITOG to see that engine oil in the Xw40 range nicely overlaps gear oil in the Xw90 range. I think the risk of letting any GL-5 in there would be far greater than any remote risk of running an engine oil.

You think 10w40 engine oil would be ok for a few days?

Yes certainly better than running dry.

Lots of manual transmissions use motor oil and run forever even if it's not as good as a dedicated manual transmission fluid.

Just looked at the BITOG chart, and you're right; 10w40 should be just fine for me since I live in a pretty hot environment. The chart in the Nissan manual even says I could run straight gl-4 90 gear oil due to the heat here, so any xW-40 should be fine for a while I guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Synthetic engine oil in the 10w40 or 5w40 range is what is RECOMMENDED for my daughter's Jeep (Aisin) manual trans. Not just "in emergency use," but INSTEAD OF GL-4. You can look at the viscosity chart on the home page of BITOG to see that engine oil in the Xw40 range nicely overlaps gear oil in the Xw90 range. I think the risk of letting any GL-5 in there would be far greater than any remote risk of running an engine oil.

High TBN engine oils can react with acidic EP gear oils. No a good idea in my opinion to mix the two. I would stay with a gear oil.

Ever wonder why the API uses different scales for the same viscosity gear oil and engine oil? To keep from confusing the two different products.

I've driven more than one manual trans. that was, out of ignorance, filled with GL5. I doubt it's going to do any damage if it's only in there as long as it takes to acquire the right stuff and change it back out.

GL5s' in the past 20 years or so, no longer 'eat' bronze in manual trans or differentials.
It generally provides higher film strength over contemporary GL4s'.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
GL5s' in the past 20 years or so, no longer 'eat' bronze in manual trans or differentials.
It generally provides higher film strength over contemporary GL4s'.
blush.gif

I had the transmission apart on my ECHO to replace the input and output shaft bearings, and the brass/bronze synchros looked fine after a long diet of GL5.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Every time I've read about people using GL5's in GL4 apps,they always have bad gear crunch/grind.

Exactly, it isn't just about the potential yellow metal wear, but how the additives and fluid acts in synchronized transmissions. For the best shift characteristics a GL-4 fluid is preferred especially where the car manufacturer specifications in the manual specify it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You think 10w40 engine oil would be ok for a few days?

Yes certainly better than running dry.

Lots of manual transmissions use motor oil and run forever even if it's not as good as a dedicated manual transmission fluid.

+1 It'll be fine for a short period until you can fix and replace it with the proper stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back