Is it OK to reuse factory compression hose clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory spring clamps are the best, i reuse them all the time with no problem, make sure to postion the clamp in the same spot everytime though or it might leak but like stated previously the worm type clamp will damage the hose, it can loosen on its own with varying cold temps, especially when clamping down on a metal pipe.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Over the years, I've occasionally gone to dealerships to replace spring loaded hose clamps and they NEVER have them in stock. I asked what they do when a spring loaded hose clamp is damaged; they replied, "we replace them with worm drive clamps".

There is no reason for them to be stocked because they never go bad except by abuse. Also, there are hundreds of varieties and it's not practical to stock them at dealerships.

Again, most aftermarket clamps ruin the hoses and I wouldn't use them.

You can reuse them over and over and over. Those things are STRONG.

But if you open the clamp too wide and it locks open, you'll have to unlock it by opening it further and then once it gets back to its relaxed diameter, take a pair of pliers and squeeze the locking tang flat so that it doesn't lock open again.

On the real large clamps like the one that goes over the water pump hose, don't even try using pliers; let me save you the trouble. Get the right tool for this job if you want to save your sanity. Look up "Mayhew 28680" and be prepared to get sticker shock. You'll have to do without pizza for a month to buy them, but the frustration they'll save you is well worth it.

One last thing, if you're reusing the hose, make sure you set the clamp in it original impression.

28680_Hose_Clamp_Pliers.560469424fb02.jpg

Oohhh..that's a fancy one! Mine is the same..except plainer.

I'm all for Channel Locks but there have been those times when it has taken 20 attempts to get a clamp squeezed correctly.
If the right tool falls into one man's category of luxury, so be it.

A friend went into a pre-recorded speech about spending money when he saw my pliers. He was drinking wine at the time.

If I can get them off with a good pair of pliers, I'll reuse them.
If not and I have to cut them off, then a worm drive screw clamp will replace them.
I've seen no problems with worm drive hose clamps myself.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm all for Channel Locks but there have been those times when it has taken 20 attempts to get a clamp squeezed correctly.

That's because pliers keep slipping off. I've had to go through that once before, but voweled to never subject myself to that torment ever again. If there was ever a time to splurge on a luxury item, this is it!

Originally Posted By: Kira
The cable operated tool which squeezes the spring clamps' ears is the best money I've ever spent.
It makes removal and installation of those clamps UNBELIEVABLY fast and smooth operations.

The one I got was from Sears...was built in France...came with a spare cable anchor (which I taped to the tool)....and cost $40. Kira

I have the same one, it's great. I have not been aggravated by a spring clamp since getting it.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Over the years, I've occasionally gone to dealerships to replace spring loaded hose clamps and they NEVER have them in stock. I asked what they do when a spring loaded hose clamp is damaged; they replied, "we replace them with worm drive clamps".

Yeah, unfortunately if a clamp needs to be replaced at a dealer, and it's non-warranty, and the hose isn't getting replaced too...it will likely be worm drive.

I think the aftermarket and bulk suppliers really like worm drive because fewer individual part numbers cover so many more hose sizes than with the spring clamps. It's also fewer part numbers for dealers and shops to stock. Economies of scale basically. Spring clamps have been in wide use for decades now and are still harder to find readily available.

A lot of OE hoses will come with spring clamps already on them, which is another reason dealers often don't stock just the spring clamps.

I do reuse them unless there's an obvious reason not to.

Last edited:
I've always reused them and never a problem. Pliers with a wide jaw always seem to work well if the area you're working in isn't tight. I've used a small pair of needle nose vise grips in tight areas.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get the right tool for this job if you want to save your sanity. Look up "Mayhew 28680" and be prepared to get sticker shock.

These must be new ones after your epic GJ hunt for the ultimate clamp tool??

Because I use them so seldom, I settled for the Taiwan version by Astro Pneumatic, which also have the US and French patents:

http://www.toolpan.com/Astro-Pneumatic-9...CFQiUaQod2bkLkg

doitmyself,

I've used those before. I "borrowed" a pair from Sears under the Craftsman brand. They're the same pliers, but with one layer of black grips instead of the dual layer grips that Astro gives you. There's two things I didn't like about them:

1. The handles were too far apart when squeezing large clamps
2. The business end was not compact enough for tight areas

Of course I wouldn't know any better if I hadn't've borrowed my neighbor's Mayhews at one time.
I still don't have any yet. I keep waiting for ebay to give me a deal.

Yup I reused mines when I changed out the water pump on my truck. It's been several months with no leaks. I also picked up hose clamp pliers to make the job easier and faster.

Azzwvln.jpg

E9mblXv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back