Suggestions for a new (used and cheap) vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I'm looking at a used vehicle to replace my Ranger if I can figure out this noise in 4x4...I'm an honest seller so it may be here for a while.

I'm looking at a 2wd Ranger 4 cyl with a 5 speed tomorrow, and am also considering a used Subaru hatch or wagon 04-06/ 100k miles or so, a used mazda hatch or wagon (04-07 60-100k)a Saturn astra same vintage.

Any other ideas on a small economic truck or wagon? I go camping with my wife, drive to the mountains as much as possible and like the utility.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

skip subaru,

That generation tended to have HG issues and expensive timing belt.

Thanks guys, that's what I'm leaning towards...I've had enough with complex and expensive.. lol.

Still leaning towards a 2wd 4 cyl Ranger with a stick shift. I've heard theyre hard to kill and easy to work on.

I'm working with a budget of 5-6k....yeah...nice car goes to my wife, but she's a keeper. lol

Last edited:
Check into Chevy HHRs if you can get them cheaply. Like, a couple grand.

They seem to be disposably engineered, so figure 12 yr/ 200k for its junkyard appointment. My bumper rusted to dust in nine years, for example.

A saturn LW200 with the ecotec maybe also. Their subframes rust out under the radiators.

Why not fix the ranger? Surely you can find a mechanic who knows ford 4WD trucks. Most are fixed with a hammer and pipe wrench.
wink.gif

How messed up is the Ranger? Is it fine in 2WD?

You said it bucks in 4 HIGH in a straight line, which is concerning, but I don't know that I'd rush to dump it if it's fine in 2WD. Maybe keep it in 2WD for the time being and see about repair options if you have some flexibility (like a back up vehicle)?

I don't know, it's a tough call. I don't really have a different replacement vehicle to suggest since I just took a 22 year old Ranger 4X4 on a 1500 mile road trip without a problem.

An old rwd Volvo wagon would be be good, but they're getting harder to find in good shape. The non-turbo versions would be best for reliability and ease of maintenance.

Volvo parts can get pricey unless you are a junk yard hound...

It's odd, but older BMW sedans are pretty cheap on a lot of common parts like brake rotors and such. The HVAC system, not so much.

Any non-CV tranny Saturn Vue would be a nice choice.

Thanks guys,

Some good food for thought.

Well, heres the history on the Ranger, and I agree on them in general. I bought this one because of their supposed reliability....which I still believe they can be.

This one has 85k miles, and has been used hard. so far...in the 4 months I've owned it, I've chased a timing chain rattle with both tensioners, ABS sensor, O2 Sensor, it will eventually need a clutch and slave cylinder, an intermittent 0420 code which is the right side catylitic (its coming off a y pipe so replacement with a universal is not an option) and now what could be a transfer case replacement.

Throw in a cracked windshield for good measure (ok that one was obvious when I bought it)

I can do a lot of the work myself, but between work and school, its been taking over my life. It's been incredibly frustrating.

None of this means it doesn't start and run, so fixing it isn't out of the questions. I'm not using it to its full potential (basically just a 10 minute commute everyday) and I'd kind of like to simplify my life a bit. I'll say though that the 4x4 would be great to have in a Calgary winter.

I may sleep on it. a used transfer case is $3-400 with an afternoon on my back. Royal purple has smoothed out the shifting which would prolong the slave change, and the cat code can be worked around....I've been running premium and its been staying off longer.

So that's her....its been a real love hate relationship.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
How messed up is the Ranger? Is it fine in 2WD?

You said it bucks in 4 HIGH in a straight line, which is concerning, but I don't know that I'd rush to dump it if it's fine in 2WD. Maybe keep it in 2WD for the time being and see about repair options if you have some flexibility (like a back up vehicle)?

I don't know, it's a tough call. I don't really have a different replacement vehicle to suggest since I just took a 22 year old Ranger 4X4 on a 1500 mile road trip without a problem.

See, this is what I like reading about the Rangers....I still wonder if theres hope for this girl. Astonishingly, it got 23 MPG on the highway on its last trip to the mountains....its not even that hard on gas, better than its supposed to be!

Older CRV maybe? The good thing is that 99% have never been off road, or had their owners work on them. Bit expensive but if its been maintained it could be worth it.
For two people without kids or dogs we found our 03 Tracker good and it fits on the side by side ATV trails if you like off roading. Suzuki kept the V6 manual until 2005 too.
I find my Focus wagon has a bit of trouble going uphill in snow or sand to recommend it in the mountains. Not enough weight on the front tires.

Nissan Xterra? That's the only reasonably priced vehicle I'd consider buying to replace my TJ- aside from another Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

So that's her....its been a real love hate relationship.

You bought a hobby, not a reliable daily driver. Nothing wrong with that if you know going in and have the time/ability to sort it. Only you know the financials if you sell it and get something else but if it's taking over your free time then either paying a mechanic or selling might be the smart choices.

Thanks guys,

Yes....absolutely true! I bought it to fix it up a bit, but its been one thing after another.

I actually just found a '11 Ranger 4 cyl 5 spd regular cab with 35k miles for $9100. Ill see by the end of the week. Keep an eye on my signature. lol

Thanks a lot guys for the help. The CRV was another I was considering.

Ryan

Yeah, that's quite a list of issues. If you don't have the time, cutting your losses and moving on might be the best option.

$9100 sounds like a good price for an '11 with only 35K miles.

I don't know what buying cats is like in Canada, but I had to replace the pre-cat y-pipe assembly on my 2002 3.0 Ranger a little less than 40K miles ago. It was less than $300 for a Walker direct fit. This truck has no rust though, and I had access to a lift, so it was a straight forward swap out.

Have you already fixed the timing chain rattle? If so, I'd maybe be inclined to keep it, at least long enough to figure out for sure what's going on with the 4WD. If the chains are still rattling though, it might be time to cut and run given that and the 4WD bucking issue. Sometimes you get a bad one, and it sound like this truck was rode hard and put up wet.

Thanks 01Ranger,

Yeah, I'm leaning towards your train of thought. I just hope it sells!

I'm taking it in tomorrow, and getting the clunk diagnosed. I can't bring myself to sell it knowing that the 4x4 doesn't work.

The rattle is all but fixed. Its much quieter, I think the right side may still be causing a bit of noise as it's still the cloyes unit in there.

I'm working at a new job, and looking at schooling for a second career in another month, and wouldn't mind having a truck I could forget about....These issues have dragged on and kept me greasy for 4 months straight. I'm getting tired and starting to hate it!

I agree, Rangers are generally solid little beasts from everything I read. I get the feeling this one will be around for a while if I fix it up, and this new one I could probably drive for years without major issue being so simple.

The new one is only 2wd, and we live in Alberta, BUT, its got brand new snow tires and has the traction control options....that's about it! A bit of weight in the bed snows and TC and it should be pretty good to go anywere.

I think the new one will end up in the driveway. Just so I can have my life back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back