Which In-line Fuel Filter for Gravity Feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install an inline fuel filter on my Snotek snowblower. The gas is gravity fed to the carburetor.

I have seen some OPE fuel filters with ratings around 40-70 microns, but I have to wonder if they are too restrictive for gravity flow.

Will a filter with a rating of 150 microns be required to get good flow?

The fuel filters you've seen so far, are they rated for a carbureted engine or fuel injected? I wonder if that is what you are seeing in terms of micron size differences.

Also, what particulate are you worried about in the fuel? Just my experience but carb engines seem pretty flexible in terms of tolerating gas that would harm efi engines.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The fuel filters you've seen so far, are they rated for a carbureted engine or fuel injected? I wonder if that is what you are seeing in terms of micron size differences.

Also, what particulate are you worried about in the fuel? Just my experience but carb engines seem pretty flexible in terms of tolerating gas that would harm efi engines.

Funny you say that. In the sportbike world, clogged carburetors from sitting with stale gas from fall until spring seemed commonplace. Then with fuel injection, it mysteriously stopped happening......and this was around the time 10% ethanol was gaining momentum. So, I dunno.

Some, where you cannot see inside are just a screen, maybe its good enough, not sure.

Has anyone tried a fuel filter designed for OPE with fuel pump, like a lawn tractor in a gravity feed system like snow blower or lawn mower?? Issues?

Last edited:
I've used the red pancake type with no problems. I'm a big proponent of inline filters for OPE. Just recently cleaned the carb of my neighbor's 1-year-old Craftsman snowblower that wouldn't start. The main jet was completely plugged with mud. I am guessing they used a dirty gas can..

Much easier and quicker to pull off and replace an inline filter rather than disassembling everything to get to the carb..

I run a b&s inline filter in my 3hp snow blower. Something interesting though, when I installed inline filters on the fuel lines to my bike I ended d up with pretty obvious fuel starvation issues.

I've installed fuel filters on my snowblower (gravity fed) and my tractor (mechanical fuel pump). Just about any fuel filter will work and will let fuel flow right through without any real restriction.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
The 40-70 micron filters I saw on O'Reillys website were described as being for small engines with fuel pumps.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search...Line&mc=PRI

I have some visible junk in my fuel tank that I want to keep out of the carb.

Then flush out the tank.

Does your vehicle come with a filter, or do you flush the tank every 6000 miles?

I don't think there's too much fuel line to work with on my Ariens SnowTek with the LCT engine. It's all buried under sheet metal on the engine. On top of that, mine has a fine mesh basket in the fuel filler hole on the tank.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I don't think there's too much fuel line to work with on my Ariens SnowTek with the LCT engine. It's all buried under sheet metal on the engine. On top of that, mine has a fine mesh basket in the fuel filler hole on the tank.

Same with my Troy-Bilt 24" snow blower, no space to put an inline fuel filter. However my Briggs & Stratton generator didn't come with a fuel filter but I have plenty of space to add one and will add the red B&S fuel filter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Donald
Some, where you cannot see inside are just a screen, maybe its good enough, not sure.

Has anyone tried a fuel filter designed for OPE with fuel pump, like a lawn tractor in a gravity feed system like snow blower or lawn mower?? Issues?

Briggs make two mesh filters that are the same size just different mesh size. The finer mesh if for fuel pumps. The one for gravity feed is just small enough to catch stuff that can plug the passages in the carb. All you need is that. The only reason to catch smaller particals is on fuel injection where they can cause wear on the injectors.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I'm installing a red B&S 150 micron filter on my SnoTek. But it required relocating the on/off switch to a new location.

Briggs and Stratton red filter is 150 micron and is for gravity feed system. I use them on all sorts of equipment. Cheap, and they work good.

Briggs and Stratton white filters are 75 micron and are for fuel pump engines with an electric/mechanical fuel pump. They could cause fuel starvation issues if used on gravity feed engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back