Cool geography game (locate the States)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
No...you are wrong. I'm not saying that because it isn't a child's puzzle that it isn't a legit test of a person geography skills.

When given the state of Colorado to place on the map (and I know full well where Colorado is), and no bordering state or landform is available to get a proper placement upon the map...it is a GUESS as to where it EXACTLY is to be placed. I did it and was off by 1/4"...and it said I missed it.
It therefor has no bearing on ones knowledge of U.S. geography, and more to do with luck in placement of those first plains states. It would be like being shown a diagram of a V-8, and you only have an outline to place the parts onto the diagram. Being off by a tiny bit (like placing a distributer 1/4" off where the diagram allows) would have no legitimacy in ones knowledge of V-8's.

It's just a fun game...with at least a portion of it requiring a good geography ability...and another portion of it being luck and a good guess.

I'm WRONG because you can't get 100%? That sounds like the "no child left behind" syndrome where everyone gets an "A" as well as a trophy in any team sport. Considering most people have reported getting 80-95% the first time around it sounds like a very fair test of general geographic ability. One person even reported getting 100% the first time through...a top 5%er for sure. If anything, it's "too easy" and skewed to the high end. Where are the 60% and 70% grades that should come about in any reasonable "fair" test. For a better test I'd like the actual US boundaries and not the somewhat cartoonish ones on the supplied map.

To separate the very good (90-96% from the best (98-100%) takes a lot more studying, something I wouldn't do. At the highest levels, luck should have nothing to do with it (ie which states you get in the first 10). But to get there, start finding ways to line up exterior national boundaries to the inner states. Note that Minnesota's top nook lines up with the one in Kansas's right edge as well as the gulf bay in Texas. Colorado's West boundary lines up perfectly with Arizona which runs down to a nook in Mexico. The East boundary runs slightly right of hump center in lower Texas. If you want to be 100% that's what it would take. Being in the top 1% of geographers probably means you can stick countries and states on a blank map to amazing accuracy. It takes time and effort and well-trained and conditioned mind. Not something us regular Bitogers would ever care to do. I suspect there are 5th graders out there who can get 100% consistently on this test....after studying. I'd be surprised if there weren't.

You want a "real" test? Do every state (without name - only the shape) and place it in a blank country. Every state is done on a blank map. It would be graded on how many average miles you miss by. No fair relying on bordering states to help you land the others. Now that's fair, and a truer test.

US maps

Fwiw, I ran the test again only for the first few states and got Colorado in the first 3 states. I placed it dead on based on that 5 minutes of map study I did above. It's southern boundary runs to the east coast where North and South Carolina meet. I did Kansas (very easy) and Colorado, there only a couple more toughies left.

I ran that test to completion. Was 100% with 20 states in. Messed up on Vermont which I've gotten right on every previous test (it has a nook too). That won't happen again. 98% (1 wrong) and a 1 mile error. An hour of study and most people could probably go 98-100% all the time. A fair test? You bet. Even in High School and College I had to study an hour or more for every test. If one tries to do the same thing every time and wonders why they can't get a 100%, then change your methods.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Fwiw, I ran the test again only for the first few states and got Colorado in the first 3 states. I placed it dead on based on that 5 minutes of map study I did above. It's southern boundary runs to the east coast where North and South Carolina meet. I did Kansas (very easy) and Colorado, there only a couple more toughies left.

I ran that test to completion. Was 100% with 20 states in. Messed up on Vermont which I've gotten right on every previous test (it has a nook too). That won't happen again. 98% (1 wrong) and a 1 mile error. An hour of study and most people could probably go 98-100% all the time. A fair test? You bet. Even in High School and College I had to study an hour or more for every test. If one tries to do the same thing every time and wonders why they can't get a 100%, then change your methods.

One time was enough for me because I am confident that my geography knowledge is pretty good....especially of the U.S.
It's not an accurate assumption that anybody that doesn't place a state silhouette on a blank map within 1/4" (or less) of it's actual location has any geography deficiencies.

Now yes....if I was to retake it and had memorized the placement by trying to line up the western or eastern boundary of say...Colorado... with a northern/southern border shape of the country...then I could have had better luck. But once again....it is no realistic reflection upon an individuals geographical knowledge.

I certainly don't mean to diminish the OP's thread and say that it isn't a somewhat interesting or fun game...it is. It's just not what I thought it would be.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
No...you are wrong. I'm not saying that because it isn't a child's puzzle that it isn't a legit test of a person geography skills.

When given the state of Colorado to place on the map (and I know full well where Colorado is), and no bordering state or landform is available to get a proper placement upon the map...it is a GUESS as to where it EXACTLY is to be placed. I did it and was off by 1/4"...and it said I missed it.
It therefor has no bearing on ones knowledge of U.S. geography, and more to do with luck in placement of those first plains states. It would be like being shown a diagram of a V-8, and you only have an outline to place the parts onto the diagram. Being off by a tiny bit (like placing a distributer 1/4" off where the diagram allows) would have no legitimacy in ones knowledge of V-8's.

It's just a fun game...with at least a portion of it requiring a good geography ability...and another portion of it being luck and a good guess.

I'm WRONG because you can't get 100%? That sounds like the "no child left behind" syndrome where everyone gets an "A" as well as a trophy in any team sport. Considering most people have reported getting 80-95% the first time around it sounds like a very fair test of general geographic ability. One person even reported getting 100% the first time through...a top 5%er for sure. If anything, it's "too easy" and skewed to the high end. Where are the 60% and 70% grades that should come about in any reasonable "fair" test. For a better test I'd like the actual US boundaries and not the somewhat cartoonish ones on the supplied map.

To separate the very good (90-96% from the best (98-100%) takes a lot more studying, something I wouldn't do. At the highest levels, luck should have nothing to do with it (ie which states you get in the first 10). But to get there, start finding ways to line up exterior national boundaries to the inner states. Note that Minnesota's top nook lines up with the one in Kansas's right edge as well as the gulf bay in Texas. Colorado's West boundary lines up perfectly with Arizona which runs down to a nook in Mexico. The East boundary runs slightly right of hump center in lower Texas. If you want to be 100% that's what it would take. Being in the top 1% of geographers probably means you can stick countries and states on a blank map to amazing accuracy. It takes time and effort and well-trained and conditioned mind. Not something us regular Bitogers would ever care to do. I suspect there are 5th graders out there who can get 100% consistently on this test....after studying. I'd be surprised if there weren't.

You want a "real" test? Do every state (without name - only the shape) and place it in a blank country. Every state is done on a blank map. It would be graded on how many average miles you miss by. No fair relying on bordering states to help you land the others. Now that's fair, and a truer test.

US maps

Hardly....I despise the "everybody is a winner" mentality. The map is a grade school rendering that is asking 100% accuracy of placement for a state silhouette...without landforms or other geographical realities.
You can label me as you desire. No biggy to me.

One time was enough for me because I am confident that my geography knowledge is pretty good....especially of the U.S.
It's not an accurate assumption that anybody that doesn't place a state silhouette on a blank map within 1/4" (or less) of it's actual location has any geography deficiencies.

Now yes....if I was to retake it and had memorized the placement by trying to line up the western or eastern boundary of say...Colorado... with a northern/southern border shape of the country...then I could have had better luck. But once again....it is no realistic reflection upon an individuals geographical knowledge.

I certainly don't mean to diminish the OP's thread and say that it isn't a somewhat interesting or fun game...it is. It's just not what I thought it would be.

I would agree. 90-96% is pretty darn good knowledge on one's first try. My comment was that if you can't get 100% without going beyond what you currently know or do, then don't blame the game. Most US state map games just have you put the name into the state without any thought of where that state might be in isolation. Everyone should get 100% on that...and it's no true test of geography imo. It does test a limited knowledge of geography.

The first time I did this one, my error was up in the 300-400 mile range (88% correct). While probably ok, that's certainly not great and a far cry from what I probably could have done as a 5th grader which was the last time I "practiced" the states. This week I had considerable deficiencies in placing down those central states on a nearly blank canvas. Since there are people out there that can place every individual state down accurately on a blank map, let's just say they are a lot better than most of us and truly have no geographic deficiencies. I can live with being somewhat deficient. As in a month from now, I'll forget the tricks I learned today and drop back to 90-94% again...lol.

Don't think I could get there (100%) until 100 attempts and lots of studying.

I was definitely wrong about that the first time around. An hour of intense study to utilize some simple rules and lines and it can be done in 10 attempts. But maps are only one part of geography. The people, culture, environment, etc. are part of it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back