Cool geography game (locate the States)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are given outline images of the States and must drag them into their correct positions on a continental map. Requires Flash. I think it's fun.

http://jimspages.com/States.htm

My best score after 5 plays was:
Score 92%; Average error 5 miles; Time 210 seconds.
My worst score was:
Score 80%; Average error 33 miles; Time 170 seconds.

Don't try and go too fast; it will cost you!

This game should be required to be played by all federal level politicians. The minimum to pass should be something like 50% just like tests in grammar and high school.

One try....
94%, 9mi aver. error, 748 seconds (while watching TV)

Once, when teaching social studies IN THE COUNTY STOCKADE, I showed the inmates how to go from a raw rectangle to an accurate map with all the states drawn in pretty close proximity from memory in a week....they liked to be able to prove their visual memory skills....

Last edited:
I actually got 100%
laugh.gif
I Guess I didn't sleep as much as I thought I did in geo class haha.

88% first try, 96% on 4th try with 6 mile error.

What I learned? It's darn difficult to place the middle center of the states down accurately early in the game. In fact, it looks close to impossible to me. 100% first try is most impressive. Don't think I could get there until 100 attempts and lots of studying. If any of KY, MO, NE, CO, IA are the first one, that's tough.

I stopped after Colorado. How in the poop am I supposed to place a square state like that on the map and have it in the right spot when no land form or adjacent state line is available to set it on the map properly?
Not really a legit test.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I stopped after Colorado. How in the poop am I supposed to place a square state like that on the map and have it in the right spot when no land form or adjacent state line is available to set it on the map properly?
Not really a legit test.

It's a legit test. Just not the same kind of test we were presented with as 4th and 5th graders when we could plop down a state in a general area and eventually the blocks would all fit together. Getting those big "central" states early in the game to within 50-75 miles is a %#$@!

A better test would be no names with the state, just the shape.
92%, 14 miles, 270 seconds while watching the news. Also had Kentucky and Colorado were my first 2 states and was off on both of those pretty far, but the rest came in a good order or on a body of water/ easy border

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Not really a legit test.

It's a legit test. Just not the same kind of test we were presented with as 4th and 5th graders when we could plop down a state in a general area and eventually the blocks would all fit together. Getting those big "central" states early in the game to within 50-75 miles is a %#$@!

No...you are wrong. I'm not saying that because it isn't a child's puzzle that it isn't a legit test of a person geography skills.

When given the state of Colorado to place on the map (and I know full well where Colorado is), and no bordering state or landform is available to get a proper placement upon the map...it is a GUESS as to where it EXACTLY is to be placed. I did it and was off by 1/4"...and it said I missed it.
It therefor has no bearing on ones knowledge of U.S. geography, and more to do with luck in placement of those first plains states. It would be like being shown a diagram of a V-8, and you only have an outline to place the parts onto the diagram. Being off by a tiny bit (like placing a distributer 1/4" off where the diagram allows) would have no legitimacy in ones knowledge of V-8's.

It's just a fun game...with at least a portion of it requiring a good geography ability...and another portion of it being luck and a good guess.

I did it 3 times and the second time was my best (98% 2 mile avg. error and 222 seconds). It all depends what order they give you the states in, because as someone else stated it's very difficult to place those middle states accurately when they are the first ones. If they give off the coastal ones and border ones first, it's quite easy.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
88% first try, 96% on 4th try with 6 mile error.

What I learned? It's darn difficult to place the middle center of the states down accurately early in the game. In fact, it looks close to impossible to me. 100% first try is most impressive. Don't think I could get there until 100 attempts and lots of studying. If any of KY, MO, NE, CO, IA are the first one, that's tough.
Another Canuck here ... 92%, 15 mile avg error, 459 s. Agreed, the middle states in the early going are the hardest.

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
I did it 3 times and the second time was my best (98% 2 mile avg. error and 222 seconds). It all depends what order they give you the states in, because as someone else stated it's very difficult to place those middle states accurately when they are the first ones. If they give off the coastal ones and border ones first, it's quite easy.

100% correct! I was given Colorado right near the start. It was almost impossible to place on the map no matter how well I know U.S. geography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back