Grease for Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

The Tri-Flow may be Food Grade but it's not a motor grease, it's for lubricating cable when installing in conduit in food preparation areas. In other words it's such a totally different application from a gear lube in a mixer, I have no idea how you even came up with it as an option?

Spend the $14 and get the KitchenAid stuff.

It seems, from reading reviews of both these greases, that several have in fact been using the Tri-Flow in their Kitchenaids, with some success. That's why I decided to look into it.

But, as I said, thought seeking expert advice might be advisable! So I do appreciate yours! :)

By the way, the application here is not as motor grease, but as gear lube, inside the gear housing in the front part of the housing above the beater shaft, the motor is housed at the rear of the machine.

Last edited:
For me, this would be a no brainer. I'd go with the Kitchenaid grease.

There is no doubt in my mind that Kitchenaid has a lot better understanding of their product, and which lubricant is best suited for it, than some guys that you only know of from the internet?

What the heck? So I read in some reviews where some people have had success using an alternative synthetic food grade grease rather than the oem grease that tends to break down and leak.

I come HERE looking for expert advice before I decide.

So, why the, (seeming), hostility?

Does anyone have some insight to the differences between the two lubes? Is there a technical reason or reasons the oem stuff is preferable to the Tri-Flow? Will the Tri-Flow cause harm of some kind?

Or, is there something else that would be preferable to both the oem AND the Tri-Flow.............. or NOT?

Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
What the heck? So I read in some reviews where some people have had success using an alternative synthetic food grade grease rather than the oem grease that tends to break down and leak.

" They'll try to tell you what to do
They'd love to have control of you
'Cause it's your spirit they lack
And once they get it from you
You know you won't get it back"

I think I would lean toward the OEM grease simply because you stated it lasted a long long time originally.

I have one of these mixers and looking it over, the Tri-Flow looks like a reasonable gear lube. It's not like the thinner lubes that Tri-Flow makes and are well known (which may be confusing some others as it did me at first when I saw the name).

The synth. FG grease they have looks like a good option for the gears in there. I also saw smaller packs of it elsewhere if you don't need that larger gun-cartridge sized tube of it. Dollar for dollar, I would tend to the think the TF grease is going to be higher quality than the KA product, honestly.

Thanks Oro - that's kind of what I was gathering too, from what I had read, but I really wanted a couple of more knowledgeable opinions on it.

I'll bet you're right about the confusion too. If others didn't click on the link they might well have thought Tri-Flow aerosol, so no wonder the "wonder"!

Larry

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
how do you grease the KA stand mixer ? I have one from the 70s/80s

If you'll type that into Youtube search box, you'll learn everything I know about how to do it!

Does anyone have some insight to the differences between the two lubes? Is there a technical reason or reasons the oem stuff is preferable to the Tri-Flow? Will the Tri-Flow cause harm of some kind?

Or, is there something else that would be preferable to both the oem AND the Tri-Flow.............. or NOT?

Sorry. I misunderstood. From your first post I thought you wanted honest, straightforward advice. But clearly what you were looking for is someone to validate the decision you had already made.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Sorry. I misunderstood. From your first post I thought you wanted honest, straightforward advice. But clearly what you were looking for is someone to validate the decision you had already made.

That was "advice"?!?!?

I always wondered what a troll was, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Wang - How long ago? Have you used the mixer much with the Amsoil grease in it? How does it sound/function? Are you happy with it?

Thanks, Larry

Wang - How long ago? Have you used the mixer much with the Amsoil grease in it? How does it sound/function? Are you happy with it?

Thanks, Larry

That was in May 2015: Kitchen Aid repair

It sounds and functions same as it ever did, really. I have no regrets at this time.

Thanks Wang - Sorry I missed your earlier post. Ok, Ok, I didn't think to look for it!
blush.gif
But I do appreciate the info!

Thanks to you too Pablo, for your feedback!

So now there's the Tri-Flow, Amsoil and I've come across one from CRC. I suppose there are more if I wanted to keep looking but I don't see the need.

Now, it's just get some grease, tear it down, clean it up and re-lube it!

Why not just go to your local hardware store and pick up a 3 oz. tube of Super Lube? It's an excellent grease and is H1 rated.

Ed

Well, it's really not the only place, including, but not limited to, many videos on Youtube.

But really, if not here, then where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back