Honda / Mahle T8326? Cut Open Not Suprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy came over today and brought me his '07 Honda Odyssey 3.5L for an oil change. I changed his Air Filter while I was in there too. Topped up fluids, replaced two brake lights and washed his van. Sounds like regular maintenance right? Meh, I don't think so. Down to the oil change. Oil came out and looked quite like oil that came out of a diesel tractor with a varnish hue. Spun off his filter barely hand tight.

Cut open his filter right away too many suspicions of oil changes not being done.

I don't know what this filter is called but I know its not an A01 or A02. It just says Honda, Made in Japan Mahle Tenex Corp T8326.

I put a Wix 57356 and Wix 42844 in. Oil choice was PYB 5W20.

Happy Holidays Everyone. No drinking and driving, alcohol that is. Hope you're not drinking oil.

Can
yhInP67.jpg

Inside Can, Yummy varnish.
4t5Tsxw.jpg

Components, Look at that sad ADBV it was dry rotted to the end cap. Very stiff.
eiR0FWG.jpg

Filter Media #1
kIKsaBX.jpg

Filter Media #2, tiny filter compared to my thumb.
L0PXV5g.jpg

Originally Posted By: Farmer

Looks like the ADBV might be silicone, but if so, it shouldn't be dry rotted. Is is stiff, or just looks in bad shape?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Looks like the ADBV might be silicone, but if so, it shouldn't be dry rotted. Is is stiff, or just looks in bad shape?

Yeah, silicone ADBV. It definitely stuck to the end cap. I couldn't get it to come off in one piece. It was stiffer than any ADBV I have ever squeezed, including nitrile ones.

I feel bad for buddy's cars. He doesn't know how to maintain them, and the guy that did it before me is definitely taking his money. Seems like hes draining the oil but not taking off the filter.

Last edited:
Looks like it did its job. I'd wager it's been on there for a long time. Pleats are ugly (maybe in there a REALLY long time) but I can't see any failures in your pictures.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Looks like it did its job. I'd wager it's been on there for a long time. Pleats are ugly (maybe in there a REALLY long time) but I can't see any failures in your pictures.

No failures just really ugly. How long do you think its been on there? I couldn't find a date code to post up either.

There is one small pleat cut on the right side of the last photo. That was damage from me when I was cutting. Media is for sure cheese grade paper thin stuff.

Buddy came over today and brought me his '07 Honda Odyssey 3.5L for an oil change.

Cut open his filter right away too many suspicions of oil changes not being done.

The guy has no idea when his last Oil Change was?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Buddy came over today and brought me his '07 Honda Odyssey 3.5L for an oil change.

The guy has no idea when his last Oil Change was?

He pays a guy that comes to his farm to do the oil changes. He never watches him do it because he's never there I guess and this is his wife's car. He had a Fram windshield sticker that said 96000KM and 6K on the filter and sometime around June this year. So I'm assuming it was done 6K-7K KM ago. Since I saw a Fram sticker I expected to pull off a Fram. Not the case on this one. He has almost 97K KM on the van.

Basically giving the guy a lecture while he's getting his car worked on. He tells me how the guy comes over to do the oil change then just asks for 60 or 80 dollars or what ever. But to me it sounds like not much is getting done. I charged him parts and materials at what ever I buy them for. I asked for that plus $40 but he gave me parts plus $50.

Looks like a motorcycle/small engine filter that was on there. Bypass valve and filtration level specs might be a little different. And it does look like it was on there a while!

Good on you for putting the right stuff on.

Someone wasn't getting their money's worth in the oil changes. That's a very well used filter.

Originally Posted By: Run
Someone wasn't getting their money's worth in the oil changes. That's a very well used filter.

I'm assuming it went for about 20K KM? Maybe more. A quick lube place would be doing a better job than this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back