Transfer limit from brokerage to bank to Vanguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering when you electronically transfer money from brokerage TDameritrade account to a bank, then transfer money from bank into Vanguard account... (just moving cash into Vanguard for future investments).

I know of the $10,000 deposit amount the IRS is notified about.

But is there a limit as to the cash transfer limit ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just wondering when you electronically transfer money from brokerage TDameritrade account to a bank, then transfer money from bank into Vanguard account... (just moving cash into Vanguard for future investments).

I know of the $10,000 deposit amount the IRS is notified about.

But is there a limit as to the cash transfer limit ?

I don't know why there would be. I have transferred 100's of thousands (at a time) from Fidelity to Wells Fargo and then to Vanguard. Also IO have written checks well over 10,00

The 10000 thing is a literal cash thing. In terms of you show up to the teller with a stack of paper bills. And its not a limit or illegal, it just means paperwork and flagging you to explain where all this came from.

If its not literally physical cash, but bookkeeping "cash" no such limit.

Last edited:
Yeah the 10k can trigger a SAR which is a suspicious activity report. If you know the tellers though they might not send one.

Transferring money electronically doesn't really trigger anything. I sell houses and people wire hundreds of thousand all the time to buy a home.

Good question. I plan to close my TD account.

Since I already have electronic setup for TD, it was easier not to add Vanguard. I don't want TD to have Vanguard account info.

If youre going to close. Call them up and tell them. Otherwide you end up with a dead account where either sweep or some dividend dribbles in and you have an account with $6 in it.

If you are transfering a large sum that you hit an ach transfer limit, you may want to pay for a wire instead, as the interest from the few days for ach will cancel out the wire fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back