Fram TG 10575, 5k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a 2012 F150 Eco-Boost

The OCI was 5,002 miles with Castrol Edge. ADBV was pliable, media a little wavy but no holes or rips. End caps were solidly glued on and bypass valve was functional.

TD9nLW0.jpg

Q8sqAcm.jpg

F6KW1Ac.jpg

I certainly could have gone longer. Replaced with a FU and planning on a 7.5-10k OCI.

I'm glad that I don't see crud like that when I open up my oil filters after 5000 miles.

I guess this is called "progress".

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Lots of crud for a 2012.

It's the nature of the beast I guess.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I'm glad that I don't see crud like that when I open up my oil filters after 5000 miles.

The crud is not metallic, appears to be carbon. This is the first full OCI I have done on it. Service records prior to purchasing it in January showed it had Valvoline conventional on ~5k OCI's so I'm thinking maybe the Castrol did a little clean up. The good news is the filter trapped it like it should have. The oil did not appear excessively dirty and while there was a scent of fuel on the dipstick when checked, I didn't notice any fuel smell when draining the oil.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Thanks for the cut and post! I can't imagine why a cardboard filter would be wavy....hmmm....
grin.gif

So what's the excuse for filters with metal end caps that are wavy?......

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Lots of crud for a 2012.

The crud is not metallic, appears to be carbon. This is the first full OCI I have done on it. Service records prior to purchasing it in January showed it had Valvoline conventional on ~5k OCI's so I'm thinking maybe the Castrol did a little clean up. The good news is the filter trapped it like it should have. The oil did not appear excessively dirty and while there was a scent of fuel on the dipstick when checked, I didn't notice any fuel smell when draining the oil.
DI soot?

Thanks for the cut and post! I can't imagine why a cardboard filter would be wavy....hmmm....
grin.gif

The quality should be much higher. Metal end caps. Evenly spaced pleats all around. Rigid media to prevent waviness with no risk of tearing. Maybe even something with 99.9% efficiency.

Oh wait. Purolator make such a product. Here are some pictures of these "highly engineered, reliable and affordable" filters.

DSCF7137a.jpg

OOPS!

2v1krc6.jpg

OOPS!

15qznzp.jpg

OOPS!

DSC00831.jpg

OOPS!

Those pictures of birth certificates, I mean Purotater oil filters, are forged or photo shopped. It is easy as pie to do on any computir. Fram employees are paid to post forged pictures and make up stories. I have one and it didn't tear.

Originally Posted By: Benito
grin.gif

The quality should be much higher. Metal end caps. Evenly spaced pleats all around. Rigid media to prevent waviness with no risk of tearing. Maybe even something with 99.9% efficiency.

Oh wait. Purolator make such a product. Here are some pictures of these "highly engineered, reliable and affordable" filters.

DSCF7137a.jpg

OOPS!

2v1krc6.jpg

OOPS!

15qznzp.jpg

OOPS!

DSC00831.jpg

OOPS!

Man those photos bring back memories of the filters I cut open.

And also, lol.

Originally Posted By: Benito
How did you manage to not tear the media when you cut the filter open?
wink.gif

I'm certified
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Lots of crud for a 2012.

DI soot?

Possibly, did three towing runs over mountain passes in this 5k and I know the EB engine dumps a lot of fuel to cool the pistons when towing.

Here's a little more on the subject
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301679X15000432

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back