Hastings LF-641, 7,500 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gang. This is a Hastings filter from a 2013 EDGE with 7,500k on it. Oil used was MC 5w30. Vehicle has 18k on it also. Enjoy the pics

fkofnd.jpg

2meq3bs.jpg

2zs8bc3.jpg

358atk8.jpg

5yyk1u.jpg

1124ap4.jpg

Bryobob: I have never used a SILVER or paid attention so I won't comment.

Garak: thank you good sir:)

Filter looks good. Was wondering if you can show another pic. I picked up a bunch of Hastings filters, and I have noticed that just inside the big hole, there's what looks like a plastic collar or valve or something.. Does this have one of those, and if so, what does it look like from the inside?

SirTanon: I have a pic looking down the center tube before I cut it open. Yes, the ADBV is "skinny" I'll say

2ntcwed.jpg

2meq3bs.jpg

2gvqwsz.jpg

Also SirTanon; you can't really see the skinny ADBV by looking down the center tube. Hope this helped you sir:)

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
kinda like a napa silver?

I'd call it a step up from Napa Silver. The only thing "inferior" about the Hastings is the nitrile ADBV, which really doesn't bother me, and which also exists in some Wix and Napa Gold filters (i.e. the one for my G37 comes to mind). One also might call the Hastings media "inferior" to that in the Napa Gold and Wix, but to me, that's splitting hairs. I'd use (and have used) either the Wix or Hastings pretty much interchangeably.

I use the baldwin version but have the hastings and federated version on the shelf as well always work flawlessly and have the same specs

Screenshot_2015-03-18-15-24-54_zpsyiyjosdt.png

Originally Posted By: robo339
This filter has a rating of 89.4% @12 micron just fyi

You're mis-reading the beta numbers from the chart.

BX=2 is 50%, and that's at 12 microns.

BX=75 is 98.7%, and that's at 25 microns.

The 89.4% is the average efficiency - whatever that actually means.

I'd rather have decent efficiencies than a failed filter I have used Clarcor on all of my equipment and now this new truck and they all look good when dissected

Thanks again for the C&P. I've never used a Hastings but would certainly consider it given the high build quality and decent beta ratios. If these had silicone ADBVs it would be almost ideal.

Great looking filter. If I could not buy a Wix so easily, then either the Hastings or the Baldwin equivalent would be a suitable replacement. Trouble is no local auto parts stock them, or even list them to order.

Edit: Can get the Baldwin at my local Grainger for $6.31 each. About the same price as a Wix.

Last edited:
" I'd use (and have used) either the Wix or Hastings pretty much interchangeably."

Same here ... although Hastings are much more difficult to find around here. Nice pics.

Here, too. A quick lube used to use them, but then switched. A local place called Peavey Mart sells them at a good price. Ackland-Grainger sells Baldwin at a not-so-good price. I'm not sure where else they're available here. The availability of Wix isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back