Wagner Thermoquiet friction ratings FF/GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped in O'Reilly and asked the guy so see the pads for my 98 Altima and I noticed that the Wagner thermoquiet ceramics are rated GG for my application while the brake best premium ceramics are FF rated.

Does anyone else know if all the thermoquiet are GG? It's hard to find good GG pads since most stop at FF.

The model I looked at was QC430

The TQ's I just installed on my 2011 F150 (front and rear) were all labeled as GG. And yes, killer deal on Amazon.

Those friction ratings are like viscosity ratings. You can have a pad that is on the high side of the FF range and a pad that is on the low side of the GG range -- possibly very similar performance.

The Raybestos EHT pads are GG rated in most applications. I would avoid the TQs since they do not allow you to use the OEM shim kit.

Well low side of GG has got to be better than random FF right?

I'm not very worried about aftermarket shims as long as they stop well

I have Bendix pads on my Fit as GG friction rating.

Now that the hatch marks are completely gone off the new rotors, they give off very little dust.

Personally, I find the Bendix GG much nicer than the OEM pads, which are Akebono FF I believe.

Makes city driving a lot easier. You don't have to push down on the pedal very hard to have nice stopping power.

I recommend Bendix, I have read the Wagner Thermoquiets aren't that great.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Now that the hatch marks are completely gone off the new rotors, they give off very little dust.

Personally, I find the Bendix GG much nicer than the OEM pads, which are Akebono FF I believe.

Makes city driving a lot easier. You don't have to push down on the pedal very hard to have nice stopping power.

Bendix brakes has already shut-down their US operations. I believe MAT (maker of Gabriel shocks) purchased the rights to use the Bendix name, so maybe they are making the pads now? Federal-Mogul bought out the overseas portions of Bendix, but not the US operation.

The factory Akebono pads for the Fit are EF rated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-Honda-...97d&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Critic, I know, that really disappointed me when I looked on the box and it said Made In China...

Bought them on the recommendation of an old timer teacher that taught me Auto Mech.

They work great, hope it is the exact formula Bendix would have used.

Anyway, I mentioned the Made In China before and of course people on this site say COO doesn't matter... Matters to me a quite a bit.

But they work very well... My next pads will probably be Bendix again, sucks about the COO.

Originally Posted By: Falken

With about 20k miles, Thermoquiets working just great in my Civic - 18 bucks total for fronts and rears after rebate.

FWIW, I have ThermoQuiets on my car(Lexus LS400) and a friend's Subaru Forester and Bendix CT3s on my parent's Toyota Sienna.

I prefer the feel of the Bendix better despite the fact it was made in China and has an FF rating vs. the US-made ThermoQuiets and their FG/GG rating. If I was to do it all over again, I wouldn't use Wagners.

I will probably try the CARQUEST/Wearever Platinum ceramics again since I'm having good luck with my Buick on them. They are only FF rated but feel plenty strong with only a little dust

I found friction ratings hard to find online; therefore, I wanted to share my research I've collected at various parts stores (Jan. 2016).

E: coefficient of friction = .25 to.35
F: coefficient of friction = .35 to.45
G: coefficient of friction = .45 to.55

Duralast Gold - FE
Duralast Max - FF
Nissan Ceramic - FF
Toyota Ceramic - FG
Akebono ProAct - FG
Akebono Performance - GG
Wagner ThermoQuiet - GG
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic - GG

My recent experience is with the P.F. Carbon Metallic. They've lasted a long time, but they need to be warmed up. I was happy with them until I needed to stop quickly within the 1st mile of my drive. Not a fan of my brakes needing foreplay to be responsive.

I did find a few more ratings online from a forum post elsewhere (2010) that I have not confirmed myself.

Hawk HPS - FF
Hawk HP+ - GG

EBC Ultimax/Blackstuff - GG

Axxis Deluxe - FF

Raybestos EHT - GG

I honestly didn't know that Thermoquiet was GG! If that's true, then they are probably the best performance-to-dollar ratio by far!

Updated list. I found out that the ThermoQuiet had both ceramic and semi-metallic options so i verified and found a slight rating difference.

Duralast Gold - FE
Duralast Max - FF
Nissan Ceramic - FF
Toyota Ceramic - FG
Akebono ProAct Ceramic- FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Met - FG
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic- GG
Akebono Performance Ceramic - GG
Performance Friction Carbon Semi-Met - GG

Last edited:
All I know is that my truck with the Wagner TQ ceramic with frontline rotors stops like a dream- even while towing in the middle of summer. Until I experience otherwise, these pads are my go-to choice.

The EHT's are on my CTS-V. I love them and I am critical. They were GG rated. Got them for a screaming deal on Rock Auto. Slow wearing, quiet, great cold bite, nasty hot bite, very little dust.

I believe you are correct wing0. The Thermoquiets I've installed have had different friction ratings depending on the application.

Tough to make a blanket statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back