Somewhat UAO after 500 miles 2004 Dodge Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Sent an oil sample off to Blackstone with approx 500 miles on the oil. I was showing signs of my engine "making oil" and was concerned with diesel fuel in the oil. Anyway, here are all the specs:

Oil- Kendall Super D-XA 15-40
Filter- Donaldson DBL 7349
Miles- Approx 500
Driving- All local trips in city. Very little if any highway driving.
Facts to consider- Oil sample taken from oil filter itself. I did not want to do a full OCI after only 500 miles.
Truck- 2004.5 Dodge Cummins, 109,xxx on the ODO. All stock other than muffler upgrade.

Attached is the UOA. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts to what they see. This is my first UOA!!
smile.gif

JAMES: You're worried about fuel dilution, but we didn't find any measurable fuel in this sample, as seen
by the high flashpoint. If the flashpoint were lower than the "should be" value, then that would show some
fuel in the oil. Universal averages show typical wear levels after about 6,800 miles of oil use, so we're happy
to see metals much lower after just 500 miles on this fill. We're not seeing anything troublesome in these
numbers. Don't let the high titanium scare you. It’s just additive in the oil itself, which is harmless. Add
2,000-3,000 miles and check back.

I cannot attach the image so will just type it out. Here it goes!

Aluminum --- 2
Chromium --- 0
Iron --- 4
Copper --- 0
Lead --- 1
Tin --- 0
Molybdenum - 11
Nickel --- 1
Manganese--- 0
Silver --- 1
Titanium --- 82
Potassium--- 1
Boron --- 82
Silicon --- 2
Sodium --- 3
Calcium --- 1810
Magnesium--- 400
Phosphorus-- 1104
Zinc --- 1391
Barium --- 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 74.4
cST Viscosity @ 100C 14.11
Flashpoint in F 435
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles $ TR

I'm a newb to this UAO stuff. And understand this is prob more like a NOA. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
James

Wow! The add pkg is strong in the Zinc/Phos & Cal/Mag.
I don't typically view many HDEO UOA's so, this may be the norm for other members viewing!

Last edited:
Yep. I know that the analysis is "sub-optimal" due to taking the sample from the filter. I contacted Blackstone and they advised that if my main/ only concern was to check for fuel in the oil that the sample from the filter would be fine. Just did not want to do a complete OC after only 500 miles. But thought I would share the results anyway as I have not seen may posts about this particular oil.

Originally Posted By: JStep
Hey all! Sent an oil sample off to Blackstone with approx 500 miles on the oil. I was showing signs of my engine "making oil" and was concerned with diesel fuel in the oil.

Since the engine is pre-2007, it should not have a DPF with injection of fuel on the exhaust stroke to burn soot in the DPF; so fuel dilution of oil should not be a problem unless there is a faulty injector. Which would manifest in other ways, like a miss or smoke for example. At any rate your "U"OA is too early to diagnose anything, really. If you want to get analyses done in mid change cycle in the future, why don't you get a Fumoto drain valve?

Charlie

m37Charlie-

Yes, my concern with my truck "making oil" was a concern with possibly injector or high pressure fuel pump (both original) . Thus the early oil sample. My oil went from the middle of the cross hairs on the stick to 1/4 in above the cross hairs in a matter of a week. And yes, I have purchased a Fumoto drain valve to install at next OCI. Which I will send in another sample for a UOA.Thanks for the input.

This is the first analysis I have seen of Kendall Super-D XA. Looks like an interesting additive package. I like Kendall in general, and they were the first to really market the Titanium antiwear additive.

I don't know what to tell you about making oil. I have noticed on my Cummins that the oil level does fluctuate from time to time. I run mine a quart low of full because it seems to decrease consumption. Just keep monitoring it and if it keeps making oil, do another UOA. Maybe Blackstone's analysis was a mistake.

Last edited:
A_Harman. Yes, it is from Kendall Super D-XA Syn blend. I hope that when you say additive package is interesting you mean it looks good (stout). I do not have any issues with oil consumption or blowby. The truck runs fantastic. This was simply to ensure I did not have a problem. I changed to this oil as I can get it locally for $12/ gal. So thought it was worth a try. Seems to be doing well other than the "smell". I am new to this, so I am using info on this site to help determine if this is good oil. I know this Cummins is easy on oil. But want to make sure its protected. Thanks.

If you're looking for fuel dilution didn't Blackstone's accuracy come into question? Specifically in the fuel % use. I seem to remember Subaru and Chevy Cruze owners finding this was true as the sample wreaked of fuel but Blackstone's results showed otherwise.

With that much of a rise on the stick, it should easily show up in analysis (or so it seems). When I was having injector cup issues on my previous volvo, I had a couple samples show a flash point of 410 and Blackstone equated that to 0.5% fuel. Your flash point is well above that.

Is the smell gone yet?
grin.gif
The first time I used the Kendall, I put it in at Gallup, NM and i think the odor lasted most of the trip to Flagstaff.

This pretty much equates to a VOA, thanks for that! Oh...also be consistent about location and oil temp when checkng. I suspect you have been.

To clarify my previous post, it certainly looks like all is well with your oil. Not only is the flash point in good shape, the viscosity is also good. It looks like it sheared just a little but that is expected. Nothing to be worried about yet, wait and see what it shows after a full oci.

Your sample looks just like the PQIA results as far as the additive pack. The PQIA test of Phillips 66 Guardol (twin to the Super D) shows excellent (low) volatility and an add pack like you see in your sample. All good.

I'll have a couple samples sooner or later. I'm almost done with my second oci with the Kendall and may have three oci's to sample by the time I get back home.

Jstep...

For what its worth, I have needlessly freaked out over thinking my 05 Cummins was making oil (or using a lot of oil) all of a sudden a few times.

These engines seem to show wide variations of oil level on the stick based upon (as far as I have been able to determine) angle front to back or side to side of this monster long engine and how long it has been off.

I try now to park in exactly the same place and always check the oil after its been sitting overnight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back