Need advice for 2015 Mustang Ecoboost oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you like the car, and plan on keeping it for a long time, and are uncertain the dealer uses the correct oil, are the 6 free oil changes worth it? All they care about is your engine lasting until the power train warranty expires.

Premium fuel + any full synthetic SN/GF5 5w30.
UOA to see if it has any fuel dilution issues.

I wouldn't waste my money on a blend for ANY turbo'd car, and dont care for free negligence plans.

I'd run 0w40.

Ask the dealer what oil and filter they'll use.
If they'll use Motorcraft/Motorcraft or some other quality oil and filter combo then have them do the six free oil changes.
If not, then maybe just skip the freebies, although you've already paid for them.

We use Motorcraft oil in bulk. The distributor fills out tanks every few weeks. I know it is Motorcraft because I write the Purchase Orders ford and sign off on the invoices.

We have Motorcraft bulk blend in 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30. Full synthetic in 5W20 for bulk We also have Motorcraft 15W40 in bulk. Anything else we stock in parts in bottles. We also have Mazda 0W20, either Idemetsu or Castrol depending on what they deliver, in 55gal barrels.

Originally Posted By: Danh
MotorCraft is typically a synthetic blend and is well-regarded here. But if you want to go a step further, think about using a full synthetic that meets Honda's HTO-6 standard for turbocharged engines. Mobil1 5w-30 (as an example) meets this standard, MotorCraft does not.

Does Motorcraft oil really not meet the HTO-6 requirement or has it just not been tested in that particular application? Just curious if anyone knows. Being a "Ford oil" I would guess it doesn't wear the HTO-6 badge because why would they test a Ford oil for a Honda product? I would guess Honda oil probably doesn't meet Dexos? Just curious...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-30 Meets the Honda HTO-06 high heat low deposit spec. for turbo engines.

That's what I've run in the 2.3 liter DI turbo in my MS3 since 5k miles. It's now at 151k and running great on 7.5k OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Yup
Originally Posted By: Danh
MotorCraft is typically a synthetic blend and is well-regarded here. But if you want to go a step further, think about using a full synthetic that meets Honda's HTO-6 standard for turbocharged engines. Mobil1 5w-30 (as an example) meets this standard, MotorCraft does not.

Does Motorcraft oil really not meet the HTO-6 requirement or has it just not been tested in that particular application? Just curious if anyone knows. Being a "Ford oil" I would guess it doesn't wear the HTO-6 badge because why would they test a Ford oil for a Honda product? I would guess Honda oil probably doesn't meet Dexos? Just curious...

Afaik, only full synthetics meet HTO-6, so the Motorcraft blend would not be an obvious candidate. But even if that isn't the case, we'd have no way of knowing if Motorcraft meets that spec - as you rightly point out, Ford has no interest in a Honda spec.

If the HTO-6 spec is important, the only way to be sure is to buy an oil where it says that on the bottle. Luckily, there are lots of them.

My recommendation: I would go for full synthetic. To keep with the warranty, you at least need to use oil with manufacturers specs, which is WSS-M2C946-A. Most 5w30 full synthetic do have that spec. but make sure first. Mobil 1 does have that spec. Manufacturers cannot force you to only buy there stuff, but can require things other stuff to meet there specs. I do know not all Ford dealers have Motorcraft on bulk. My local dealer uses Mobil oil. Thats not a big deal as long as the oil they put in meets there specs. If it does, I would use up your 6 oil changes for free first. Rotella T6 maybe good oil, but its made for diesel engines, and does not have the Ford specs.

Originally Posted By: Bbrilli
Hi Everybody,
I am almost ready for my first oil change in my new Mustang. The mileage will be at about 1000. I have seen that this isn't needed but I am doing it for my own comfort. I have heard good things about Rotella T6. I would love to hear your recommendations.

1. 2015 Mustang with 2,3 liter Ecoboost (turbo) engine.
2. Owners Manual specs-Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend, XO-5W30-QSP Meets WSS-M2C946-A
3. I live in Florida so its hot and until I get a new intercooler the inlet temps are well above 110 degrees. It's not even summer yet.
4. I have a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle.
5. My commute to work is only three miles but I drive enough over the weekends to properly heat everything up.

Recommended oil filter is the Motorcraft FL-910-S

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and I can't find anything specific. Thanks for your time.

I am a 14 Focus ST owner (2.0 DI turbo) in FL and here are my 2 cents.
1. The 910s filter is excellent and under $4 at WM, keep using it.
2. Follow the severe schedule. I drive 4.5 miles to work and long drives on the weekend will not make up for the repeated short trips. My OCI are 3-4k miles. OC cost is about $27 with oil and filter from WM. I do about 3 OC a year so this is cheaper than a new engine.
3. I used MC 5w30 Synblend for the first 3 OC then went to FormulaShell Synthetic that is sold at BJ's. MC is good oil, use the 6 you have and move to a brand full synthetic. M1 is what most people use on the ST forum. With your low miles driven, boutique oil is not needed.
4. Unless Rotella meets the Ford specs, walk away from it. I know the Subaru owners love it (owned one myself) but this is a Ford. M1 or Shell products will keep you well protected.
5. Above all, remember one thing, Oil changes are cheaper than engines. If you want your warranty to cover you, use in spec filters and oil and keep record/receipts.
My .02...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back