ford scraps the mtx-75 5 speed trans in the new fo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The all new 2015 focus comes with a 6 speed manual or 6 speed auto. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. The 5 speed was tough as nails and reliable the 6 speed would be nice on the highway but I wonder how reliable it'll be.

I think only the 1.0 EcoBoost and ST get the 6-speed manual. The standard 2.0 engine still keeps the 5-speed manual or 6-speed PowerShift Auto. At least that's what the 2015 .pdf order guide shows.

Last edited:
Since the auto manufacturers are not interested in making cars better they have to add things and convince you that you're getting a better car. You absolutely have to have more than 6 forward gears. Having only a five-speed transmission has to be a real embarrassment. If you have to wait to buy a new car you can always buy a 7-speed shift know in case someone looks in your window.

Made me smile OneEyeJack . / rant off, you should have said, but it appears to be true.

They keep trying to cram more junk into a smaller area.

Can't even buy aftermarket radios anymore for these new ones. The theft prevention systems malfunction and ruin the vehicle.

Six gears are a thing for the fuel economy test cycle and don't have much bearing on the real world.

I skip 4th under moderate accelleration; 3rd will get me to 75+ then I can drop into 5th. If your engine is buzzy on the highway it's because they chose a short final drive ratio on purpose. Thanks to vvti it's probably still pretty efficient at said revs.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Made me smile OneEyeJack . / rant off, you should have said, but it appears to be true.

They keep trying to cram more junk into a smaller area.

Can't even buy aftermarket radios anymore for these new ones. The theft prevention systems malfunction and ruin the vehicle.

Are you near Jackson?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Made is China?

You assume an american can do better.

My truck could use a seven speed manual transmission. It's six gears are decent, but if converted to a stick it would need one more for a granny gear. And then perhaps a two speed reverse, or just a stupidly low reverse.

My Camry has six gears, and I haven't a clue what they were thinking. There might be a 100rpm diff between 5 and 6 at 70mph.

Actually, iirc, doesn't the EPA test cycle not allow downshifts from top gear? Maybe it does, and it's the OEM that gears top gear stupid short so consumers won't have to downshift.

Done right six gears can be nice. Done wrong and it's no better than a five. And my Camry is no better than a five. Pure gimmick there.

About time if it's true. 6 well-chosen gears offer quite a bit of flexibility. A granny gear for the 6th cog so it gets great highway fuel economy and a shorter 1st and 2nd so it gets off the line quickly. Downshifting on the highway isn't a big deal. Most autos have to do that anyhow.

I like going up hills without downshifting; just feels like the engine is weak if it has to downshift. But realistically, if it has enough power to do that, then it's spinning to fast in the flats.

I noticed the Chevy Cruze auto does 2250 rpm at 65 MPH, and the 6 speed manual does 2500 rpm at 65 mph. The auto will downshift going up a hill, the manual will pull every hill in 6th.

The 6 speed manual is only for the 1.0L and 2.0L ecoboost. The 2.0L NA is still going to use the MTX-75. Once they put a decently geared transmission behind the 2.0L NA - I might actually consider another focus!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Since the auto manufacturers are not interested in making cars better they have to add things and convince you that you're getting a better car. You absolutely have to have more than 6 forward gears. Having only a five-speed transmission has to be a real embarrassment. If you have to wait to buy a new car you can always buy a 7-speed shift know in case someone looks in your window.

The 5 speed transmission in the Focus has horrible gearing. I'd be fine with a properly geared 5 speed. The MTX-75's first gear is more like second gear.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: CT8
Made is China?

You assume an american can do better.

Our government and the EPA would like to send everything to China and our banks are there to help.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

The 5 speed transmission in the Focus has horrible gearing. I'd be fine with a properly geared 5 speed. The MTX-75's f
irst gear is more like second gear.

I have no complaints with mine other than I wish 5th gear was a little higher geared so the revs were a little lower at highway speed. But it doesn't both me at all. Very smooth shifting and dead nuts reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back