Man buys 23 Burger King pies out of spite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
The most disturbing part of the story a grown man decides for parents how a child should be treated. Then his supporters will blame others for every problem.

The term "Parent" is thrown around way too loosely anymore. Just because you can birth an offspring, it doesn't make you a parent in the classical sense where GUIDANCE is generally a consideration. Many people these days are far too obsessed with themselves and their social circle to pay proper attention to their offspring. Yes, I am a father and PARENT of a three year old son. I would have calmly exited the restaurant with my son in tow, then spent the entire drive home explaining why I would not reward him with a pie at the hint of that outburst developing.

OK. I disagree with your supposed actions because they are not stern enough in my opinion but that is your child. There is a big difference of you disciplining your child and a grown man acting like a child to dispense his form of discipline.

So what should I do, beat him? Do you really think a more stern approach is necessary?

You seem to miss the point that people are getting tired of others not handling their business.

$50 well-spent, IMO. Wait the kid out in the car, not disturbing the meal of others. Removing the audience (rather, the kid from the audience) is a big factor in getting the behavior to stop.

What sort of gets my goat is that some well-intentioned busybody stated that if a kid does something similar in the schools, the whole class needs to be removed instead of just the kid. "Let them work it out in the environment that caused the issue" is the reason behind it. If the kid is removed from the class, it's considered abuse by neglect, by secluding the child from their peers. I don't agree with this, but it's reality for education-related folks in NY.

So what should I do, beat him? Do you really think a more stern approach is necessary?

You seem to miss the point that people are getting tired of others not handling their business.

Your lack of comprehension is not my issue. You seem to miss the point that no one has the right to handle others business especially others concerning children. Unless the child is in clear and imminent danger.

Should I paddle your child then post about it on reddit? Because you are not handling your business to my standard? Please tell. Also you are reiterating my point about others are causing your problems.

The most disturbing part of the story a grown man decides for parents how a child should be treated. Then his supporters will blame others for every problem.

The term "Parent" is thrown around way too loosely anymore. Just because you can birth an offspring, it doesn't make you a parent in the classical sense where GUIDANCE is generally a consideration. Many people these days are far too obsessed with themselves and their social circle to pay proper attention to their offspring. Yes, I am a father and PARENT of a three year old son. I would have calmly exited the restaurant with my son in tow, then spent the entire drive home explaining why I would not reward him with a pie at the hint of that outburst developing.

OK. I disagree with your supposed actions because they are not stern enough in my opinion but that is your child. There is a big difference of you disciplining your child and a grown man acting like a child to dispense his form of discipline.

What would you have done Sir? As I read it the man was frustrated and he acted in a manner society would accept. Society readily accepts selfishness....so why is it different when it it used for spite? If he were to have words with the parents it could have gone in a bad direction. He chose a non-violent way to get his point across. AND didn't have to interact with parents who weren't, according to the story, even attempting to deal with an out of control child.

And I say this as a father of 4. My oldest is 13 youngest about to be 3. I've been there in those shoes and I remove my kids if they get that way and they suffer by not gettign what they wanted. Funny, since they know they if they act up they will NOT get what they want, they tend not to. All kids do, but parents are the control. Seems like parents were not the control in this instance.

This is all interesting and very generational. Those thinking like previous generations think that effective parenting requires fear and intimidation. I believe history tells us how that works out in the end. Some feel that a reasoned approach - appeal to the kid's logical mind - is the way to go. Well, kids - and many adults - don't use their logical minds much.

Also, everybody thinks they turned out perfectly, just the right amount of respect for authority and responsibility. Yet, we respect those who challenge authority on occasion.

I maintain that parenting requires an individualized approach. One must make child guidance a high priority, yet, not one that subrogates the parent. It is a challenge. And, it's not a challenge that many are able to handle when both parents are exhausted due to being exploited by our corporate dominated culture in which money and possessions rule. When I was younger I felt that a lot of people just had kids because it was part of "the package." (I have my good job, nice house, fancy car, and my 2.5 kids.)

Everybody is so quick to point out what everybody else it doing wrong. You can't beat sense into kids. There needs to be a healthy amount of respect (not fear). But, even with children, respect has to be earned. Do you think that kids are so stupid that they can't tell when the parents prioritize them less than other aspects of their lives? If your kids are more concerned about disappointing you than they are about punishment then you are most likely on the right track.

I have no idea of what I am doing as a parent. I find that the advice of others is often faulty and often just bad. I know my kids as individuals and the approach taken with one does not always work with the other and often needs to be customized.

Your lack of comprehension is not my issue. You seem to miss the point that no one has the right to handle others business especially others concerning children. Unless the child is in clear and imminent danger.

Should I paddle your child then post about it on reddit? Because you are not handling your business to my standard? Please tell. Also you are reiterating my point about others are causing your problems.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

RIP George Carlin...

The very fact that the guy was eating at a Burger King speaks volumes about his level of intelligence to begin with.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

RIP George Carlin...

Appealing to your own vanity and arrogance I see. Do this feel good?

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
What would you have done Sir? As I read it the man was frustrated and he acted in a manner society would accept. Society readily accepts selfishness....so why is it different when it it used for spite? If he were to have words with the parents it could have gone in a bad direction. He chose a non-violent way to get his point across. AND didn't have to interact with parents who weren't, according to the story, even attempting to deal with an out of control child.

And I say this as a father of 4. My oldest is 13 youngest about to be 3. I've been there in those shoes and I remove my kids if they get that way and they suffer by not gettign what they wanted. Funny, since they know they if they act up they will NOT get what they want, they tend not to. All kids do, but parents are the control. Seems like parents were not the control in this instance.

Talking to other parents is really not hard at all(I do not buy his story of talking to the Mom at all). I know this because I am a coach. The author wrote this option off before the situation was accurately assessed. People do not communicate in society nor compromise too much has to be "my way" and if you believe an adult buying all the pies in a restaurant to spite a kid is mature and this is the way a civilized society should conduct itself then I have too much faith in my fellow man. I have realized I have mistaken because you have a "person" posting about childish behavior for the purpose of acceptance then there is an gaggle of "parents" that support this type of behavior.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Better yet, buy every pie in the shop, and then walk around the restaurant and give a free one to every other kid EXCEPT the one who was throwing the tantrum.

The guy who did this (in 2012) did a follow up interview and he figured some donee would be weak-willed and give the kid some pie.

Back in the day, that child would of been spanked right then and there. Toys you threw were gone forever. You certainly didn't curse your parents, or anyone else.

Kids had more respect back then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The very fact that the guy was eating at a Burger King speaks volumes about his level of intelligence to begin with.

Hahaha, another gem from Pops! I like that one a lot.

Kids these days are being raised by the community as parents simply do not want to do the heavy lifting. You simply cannot always be a child's friend, sometimes they need tough love, and that's what modern parents don't do...

I like it...however they probably just drove up the street to another burger king to get get their kid what he wanted. Sadly around here there are BKs all over.

Why should the rest of us be subjected to listening to the child throw a tantrum?

The "parent" failed when she did not remove her child from the restaurant, full stop.

The "parent" did not provide any evidence that she would not reward the behavior on display.

Both parent and child got a lesson in natural consequences. The natural consequences of forcing those around them to suffer the child's tantrum was someone decided to take the pies out of the equation.

Instant Karma!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Why should the rest of us be subjected to listening to the child throw a tantrum?

The "parent" failed when she did not remove her child from the restaurant, full stop.

The "parent" did not provide any evidence that she would not reward the behavior on display.

Both parent and child got a lesson in natural consequences. The natural consequences of forcing those around them to suffer the child's tantrum was someone decided to take the pies out of the equation.

Instant Karma!

So buying every pie in the restaurant then walking off without explaining your actions to the child solves issues? I thought the point of discipline is to teach a lesson. This story has thought me that I should take everything I can before you or anyone else has the opportunity take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back