Gear oil 2012 Chevy Sonic turbo 6spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Redline and Amsoil do not specify a gear oil for my car. I have a 2012 Chevy Sonic with a 1.4L Turbo and 6spd manual transmission. The drive train is identical to the Chevy cruze eco if some of you guys can chime in. WHat would you guys recommend?

Looks like that is specific to your model a straight 70w.

BOT 303 SAE 70W, so looks like it is a dealer purchase especially if you are under warranty.

I know the guys on the Cruze forum are using AMSOIL synchromesh with good results. You could always switch over and then have a UOA sent in to see how it is holding up.

Look for posts by member "sciphi" on this topic. I remember a thread awhile back where he figured out what to use in his Cruze Eco MT.

Did you look in your owner's manual? Yes, it will call out for a GM part number & it will be relatively expensive. But it is your transmission.....

Amsoil has not opened up MS word to to add yet another spec it might meet. I don't believe the miracle in the bottle covers off all the specs nor could they afford to run all tests.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Amsoil has not opened up MS word to to add yet another spec it might meet. I don't believe the miracle in the bottle covers off all the specs nor could they afford to run all tests.

What are you talking about?

Nate thanks for pointing out the member SciPhi, turns out he is a Cruze/Sonic forum moderator too. I got a lot of info from his post on here and on the cruze forum. I am using redline MTL tho because its easier for me to find locally. I couldn't stomach $22 a quart at autozone, orielly's, or napa for Royal purple. So I went to a performance 4x4 truck place locally and bought it.

Wow, not sure how I didn't stumble onto this topic!

I've had excellent results with Amsoil Synchromesh in my Cruze's manual transmission. The car has had 70k miles of running Synchromesh in the transmission with excellent cold and warm weather shifting. It's on its second fill and about to get its third, as it's lasting about 35k miles before shifting starts getting notchy again.

What the Cruze/Sonic M32 needs is a GL4 70w-80 or 75w-90 (for tracked/aggressively driven cars) gear oil. Preferably full synthetic since these little 6-speeds get quite hot during use! A dual-spec GL4/GL5 gear oil has too many additives for the synchros in this unit. So far Amsoil's GL4 lineup seems to be preferred for longevity, as folks have reported issues with other gear lubes after a few thousand miles.

Lastly, I hope you over-filled by 1/2 a quart to 2.5 quarts. That will help prevent gears 5 and 6 from over-heating.

Let us know how the Redline MTL works out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back