Do valves really need to be replaced every time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
A couple of thoughts:

First, even metal valves use rubber to seal.

Second, rubber deteriorates over time.

Ergo, any tire shop worth the name should replace the valves every time because they just don't know how long it will be before the opportunity to replace the valve comes again - and lawsuits can be quite expensive.

I've switched from the metal/'competition' style valves back to rubber when a few of the metal stems I've used REFUSED to seal properly (NO MATTER WHAT torque was used to tighten them), and always leaked air.

I now use those VERY short (pressure, metal domed caps.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I would replace them, and I would make sure they are the correct type as well. Standard rubber stems arre only good to 65psi. If you have E-rated LT tires, you need the rubber/brass High Pressure stems.
When I bought my CVPI the PO told me he had taken it to Discount Tire and they found a leaking valve stem on one of the tires (left rear) so they replaced it.
3 hours later, after stopping at a mall, I got on the highway headed home and one of the other valve stems blew out on the front left while I was going 70MPH.
Only thing that saved me was the power steering was pretty much dead.
Of course the tire was toast. When I got another pair of tires, I had the valve stems swapped on the other 2 that still had old stems.

When I worked at TLE I saw so many flat tires come in where the cause was a split valve stem. Had an F350 one day come in with a split valve stem, and while it was in the parking lot, it blew out another stem just sitting there.

I have an extremely low opinion of anyone who spends $80+/per on tires and penny pinches on the valve stem.

I always replaced them anyway, even if they didnt pay for it.

Honestly...I trust the ones in there now more than new ones from China!
frown.gif

so i ended going to DT and got new tires. i ask to look at one of the valves and it say " China" on it. I think its hard to find anything made in the US anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back