Did the Head Gaskets on a gm 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy bought a 98 olds with a 3.8 for scrap, was putting more water into the oil and shooting out the tail pipe than you wouldnt believe lol. Thought he would put some 100 bucks into gaskets and see how it went.. mind you we wanted this to be as cheap as possible just to drive around town, yes corners were cut.

Thought you guys would enjoy the pics, the car had 233k on it.

Lets begin
Smoke show
Ne2DGI2l.jpg

xxyimPUl.jpg

QRfUBkdl.jpg

These are from the rear cylinders,
9gkqtnwl.jpg

XuvqKFAl.jpg

qNyKUD4l.jpg

kAdZTmll.jpg

BrdcPYpl.jpg

7TuYms0l.jpg

jH0nvW2l.jpg

omg where do these all go!!!!!!
KKi5eMNl.jpg

Used Felpro Head gaskets and intake gaskets
NEg5ildl.jpg

Front bank being assembled
AKhXmxxl.jpg

Almost done
xAnQ3FJl.jpg

OjdnmdTl.jpg

Oil change
E0B1ndAl.jpg

Who can tighten the filter the most
u1sD9JAl.jpg

Yummy
YJzv31kl.jpg

ZtCbuDUl.jpg

Yay done!
Y4VRiBGl.jpg

Started up and took it down the highway, runs good, see how long it lasts haha

Interesting, thank you for taking the time to take pictures and post it here.

my problem dirty hands = no camera.

My Note 3 was COVERED in stuff, plus i have a white case, lets just say it isnt white anymore haha!!!

Yea whereever they took it must have supermanned it on!

Very rare a HG goes out on these even at that mileage. Coolant in the oil and cyl is normal when the intake gaskets fail on these.
Head gaskets very rarely dump coolant into the oil and even rarer to dump it in the oil and the cyl.

Looks like you did it fine and it should last now.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Did you put the "death" cool back in it?

Sadly he did......i told him put the green in since the cooling system was basically water after flushing it.
frown.gif

We did the intakes first then went from there, the coolant resoivor was bubbling like crazy, it was puking coolant out, water was pouring out the tail pipe, smoking, it was definitely head gasket.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Only a GM 3.8 could take that much abuse and still run!

Idk sir, my other 3.8 threw a rod lol.

Ghu08o9.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/ICSN4#12

We started tearing down at 530pm, had the intake off, new gasket on by 8, discovered wasnt the intake, tore everything back down. Was done by 130am. Long day for me D:

Last edited:
I like the "steam-cleaned" inside of the valve covers-can't believe the rod bearings aren't gone. My MIL has a '90 LeSabre with the same motor-thing refuses to die, although the body is slowly rusting off it.

I bet that motor will run for quite a while longer. I'm guessing he will do a couple quick oil changes with cheap dino to clear out any water or coolant in the sump.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I bet that motor will run for quite a while longer. I'm guessing he will do a couple quick oil changes with cheap dino to clear out any water or coolant in the sump.

The oil didnt look to bad, popped in a new temp sensor last night, no more check engine light. Hopefully I'll get him to change the oil next week >.>

Lol the idiot never changed the oil again even though i told him countless times, it started knocking and threw a rod he said on the phone. You wouldnt believe how many times i said lets change the oil quick.

hahaha
4omGDNpl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back