Fram Synthetic Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, just noticed that Fram is selling a new "Synthetic" oil filter.

How is it?

What is the difference?

Is it still crap like the cheap Fram garbage?

Simply a name change. Do a search for an X2 filter too see more info including cut apart filters.

Guess you didn't read any of the negative aspects? Horible ADBV valve design prone to failure, mid pack filtering and flow, 3-4X the price of similar filters. Why?
dunno.gif

Ah, looks good.

Metal End Caps, nice filter mediam, good amount of material and looks to be a silicon ADBV.

Hmmm..... Might have to try this one out.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001337#000007

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001656#000001

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001583#000039

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001548#000000

In short the X2 still uses the standard Fram bypass valve and ADBV(although made of silicone) It's media filters about as well as a $3 Purolator and flows worse.

You can get metal endcaps, a silicone ADBV, better filtering and more area in a $5 Pure One.

-T

I don't really see any of low flow, average filtration in those links.

The oilfilterstudy says this about the filter:

Very good filtration capability; above average flow; silicon ADBV

I just bought one and it was $3 more than the AC Delco one and is one heck of a lot heavier than the delco.

[ October 05, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: BlazerLT ]

Check out the included spreadsheet. The Grease study shows the filtration as the same as a $3 Purolator and the flow as worse.

-T

Not sticking up for the filter, but you are really making the Fram X2 look like a bad filter.

There is always going to be a filter that is better thanthe others.

I am just trying to see where you said it has average flow and average filtration when the study said it filtered and flowed well.

Not everyone has a Purolator depot near them. The synthetic filter here is $8 which is $2 more than the AC Delco from the dealer. The Synthetic oil filter is much heftier than the Ac Delco.

I'm not going out of my way to attack the filter, just letting you know there are other filters out there that are better and cheaper. I thought a search would be good enough to see.
dunno.gif

As I said if you look at the included spread sheet you'll find that there are many filters that filter better, and several that flow better. Can you buy a Supertech, AC delco, Purolator, Wix, or Motorcraft filter. These are all better filters IMO and available at less then half the cost, at least around here.

-T

So basically the Fram is the only filter you can find so your just looking to justify it? Not sure what that will get you. I personally would go far out of my way to buy a different filters.

Where I live at least Purolator filters are available at Fleet Farm, Pep Boys, Advanced auto parts and Sears. Wix are available at NAPA, Car qwest, Bumper to Bumper, and Parts Plus. AC delco are available at Autozone, Advanced AP, or Pep Boys. Plus an assortment of Champion filters at almost any store.

Hope this helps,

-T

Unfortuneately,

I don't access to any of those filters.

If they were available, they would be all made by DANA manufacturing and essentially all the same in Canada.

The White AC Delco filter was pretty cheap and light though. It plugged up and I swapped a cheap crap fram on for the remaining 1000 miles and the Fram had more heft to it than the Delco.

If you like the Fram, I think the Tough Guard is a much better filter for the money than the X2. It had much better filtration and it's half the cost. I also like that the bypass valve has a domed screen over it to prevent any chunks through that could wash off the upstream media side during bypass mode. The motorcraft or Purilators didn't have this.

I am not a fan of cardboard end plates on filters.

Only Metal endplates in my truck.

So basically your saying that there are only Fram filters available in your area, or at least in the stores you go to?

Where do you live that filters are so scarce?

-T

Northern Ontario, Canada.

I can get a AC Delco from the dealer but they are not the same as the delco filters in the US.

Fram is the only real option available here seeing they are readily available at Wallmart and Canadian Tire.

I can get the K&Ns but I am not going to pay 5 bucks more than the XG for it.

Order a set of Baldwin filters at:

www.adiesel.com

If that doesn't work out for you, I've said previously that I'll go buy you a whole case of filters and ship them to you if you'll cover the actual cost.

I can get the following:

- Motorcrafts for about $3 apiece
- SuperTechs for about $2 apiece
- Wix for about $5.50 apiece
- NAPA Gold for about $6 apiece
- Purolator Premium Plus for about $4 apiece
- Purolator Pure One for about $6 apiece

Heck, a dozen SuperTechs would be about $26 plus shipping. Shipping would probably be another $25 (maybe more, I don't know). Still it would cost less than a dozen Frams at $8 each.

Oh, and you'd be getting a better filter out of the deal.

Thanks for the offer.

I am going to try the Fram XG for now and if it fails I think I will hit you up.

Agina, I really appreciate it.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
Napa, Carquest is the only ones in the list I have here.

But Napa, AC Delco and WIX filters are all made by the same company up here and by the weight of them they are not exactly "high quality"

The Fram XG I bought was a lot heavier.

Have you cut any apart or tested them in some way, or are you using a weight as a test of a filter's quality?

Wix filters are of good quality. You'll be hard priced to find another filter as heavy as the XG Fram because it has wire mesh backing up the media.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back