Does anyone here actually use 26 psi on a Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 92-96 Camry and ES300 specify tire pressure of 26 psi up to 4 passengers, and 32 psi when loaded up to the GWVR. That seems awfully low for a fairly heavy car. The stock tire size is 205/65VR15.

Mine are inflated to 32 psi, and all the tire shops around here, from Walmart all the way down to your local joint, use 32 psi as the reference.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The 92-96 Camry and ES300 specify tire pressure of 26 psi up to 4 passengers, and 32 psi when loaded up to the GWVR. That seems awfully low for a fairly heavy car. The stock tire size is 205/65VR15.

Mine are inflated to 32 psi, and all the tire shops around here, from Walmart all the way down to your local joint, use 32 psi as the reference.

I don't think your too far off, if at all. I'd probably run them at 30 psi and let the tire wear be the guide as far as fine tuning the pressure. For me even tread wear and good handling is everything as far as tire pressure goes. A good, reliable tread depth gauge is essential for monitoring tread wear. If you go by sight alone it may be too late before you notice a problem.

I do agree that the factory probably knew best, but '92 - '96 was before the Firestone/Ford Exploder days. I wonder what Toyota's recommended pressure was in 2000, for a similar tire size and car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Toyota tests things like this heavily. Why do you feel compelled to second-guess this?

+1. I may add 2 psi to compensate for temperature fluctuations, but that is it.

Is this info from the owner's manual and/or door jamb? The Firestone tire pressure guide does not list 26 psi for the Camry or the ES300 of that generation: http://is.gd/OyyoJm

I do not go lower than 30 psi for any vehicle. The Saturn SL specs 30F/26R, but I like the ride, handling, mpg and treadwear better when it's a bit higher than that and when the rear is just 1 or 2 psi below the front. Right now I keep them about 34/32.

The argument "The auto engineers know best" would work if the engineers were the only ones making the call. I am convinced that ride comfort plays a role in setting OE tire pressure spec. I find the ride more comfortable when the car steers crisply. Also, CAFE has crept in recently, I think. Compare OE pressure specs for the past few model years from those of 10-15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

The argument "The auto engineers know best" would work if the engineers were the only ones making the call. I am convinced that ride comfort plays a role in setting OE tire pressure spec. I find the ride more comfortable when the car steers crisply. Also, CAFE has crept in recently, I think. Compare OE pressure specs for the past few model years from those of 10-15 years ago.

Exactly right! +1

On the various Fords I have owned, the pressure setting is more for ride than anything. At the recommended 32 PSI, it never wears the center. 38-40 gets somewhat even tire wear.

I believe if you're running OE tires, then you should follow the PSI listed on the placard. When you get replacement tires from other companies, though, it helps to experiment with the pressure to find the best ride/MPG combo as not all tires are created equal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
On the various Fords I have owned, the pressure setting is more for ride than anything. At the recommended 32 PSI, it never wears the center. 38-40 gets somewhat even tire wear.

I agree, except I think this applies to all brands.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I believe if you're running OE tires, then you should follow the PSI listed on the placard. When you get replacement tires from other companies, though, it helps to experiment with the pressure to find the best ride/MPG combo as not all tires are created equal.

Are you serious?

More fuel for the fire:

In August of 2000, Firestone announced a huge recall of tires. That set into motion a whole series of related events - including the issue of inflation pressure.

I hope everyone realizes that it isn't the inflation pressure that is important. What's important is the load carrying capacity of the tire relative to the vehicle load. Another way of expressing this would be "Reserve Capacity" - how much excess capacity the tire has at the inflation pressure specified. - and since larger tires need less pressure to get the same load carrying capacity, it should be obvious that there could exist some vehicle/tire size combinations that could result in even lower values.

Many vehicle manufacturers - prior to August of 2000 - had marginal pressure specifications (and the OP's vehicle was produced well before that). I'm going to guess that by 2006 all the vehicle manufacturers had reviewed their specs and completed whatever changes needed to be made. So prior to that model year, I would be cautious.

I would never use LESS than what is listed on the placard. And I wouldn't use more than 5 psi over what is specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back