Advance... now has dexTron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
6, 7, whatever it takes!

Mr. Mom reference, yeah? I like your style.
cool.gif

You have to take the oil company's word that it meets Dext 3.

The fact that they call it Dex III is questionable, since GM doesnt license any Dex III products anymore. Somewhat misleading to the consumer, IMO.

D/M is one thing. Using III in there is another.

Quote:
This item is not eligible for promotional discounts, coupons or special offers.

Advance Auto Parts Dextron III/Mercon (ATF)

That's not fair, I want my discount on this DEXTRONIII.
crazy2.gif

Ever wonder what happend to Dextron IV & V; why did they skip right to VI? I heard it was because they couldn't use V because it was already used by Ford ... and since the new Dextron is "better" than the Ford Murkon, they made it a "VI" instead of a "V". You know; 'cause it's a bigger number and bigger stuff is always better ...
grin2.gif
(Yes - I have actually had to correct this type of innane banter on other sites before.)

Seriously though, that web-link just about sums up the mental capability of some of the autoparts folks I've come across. Not all of them are dolts, but many are. It's a sad day when the customer knows more about the product than the sales/marketing team. However, I have also seen some really gullible pigeons on the buying side of the counter.

As for the AAP "Dextron" ATF, I have used it many times and had great UOAs from it. Most of the well-known house brands are actaully decent stuff. It's true that there is no licensed standard to adhere to for Dexron III or Mercon, but it seems (at this point) that the major name brands and house brands are still complying to a reasonable expectation.

Last edited:
I would not call the Mobil conventional D/M "better" than the old Dexron III; that is not that case at least from an Allison perspective. The spec that Allison created (TES-389) was intended to license fluids that would otherwise have met the former Dex III license, along with a concern for seal compatibility (unique to some of the Allision seals used prior to 2007). That does not really make it better, just a clone of a former GM spec.

Also, there are many licensed Allision fluids that are available that meet the TES-389 in the states, as well as many TES-295 that are much "better" because they have a VERY strict chemistry and performance standard, and could easily used anywhere a TES-389 were spec'd.

TES-389 listing: https://fdlrd.swri.org/Allison/ApprovedFluidsList.aspx?Id=2

TES-295 listing:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/international/europe/service/autoapp/172/viewpage.jsp?ThisPage=3

Many of those are available here in N.A.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Ever wonder what happend to Dextron IV & V; why did they skip right to VI? I heard it was because they couldn't use V because it was already used by Ford ... and since the new Dextron is "better" than the Ford Murkon, they made it a "VI" instead of a "V". You know; 'cause it's a bigger number and bigger stuff is always better ...
grin2.gif
(Yes - I have actually had to correct this type of innane banter on other sites before.)

Seriously though, that web-link just about sums up the mental capability of some of the autoparts folks I've come across. Not all of them are dolts, but many are. It's a sad day when the customer knows more about the product than the sales/marketing team. However, I have also seen some really gullible pigeons on the buying side of the counter.

As for the AAP "Dextron" ATF, I have used it many times and had great UOAs from it. Most of the well-known house brands are actaully decent stuff. It's true that there is no licensed standard to adhere to for Dexron III or Mercon, but it seems (at this point) that the major name brands and house brands are still complying to a reasonable expectation.

You do make a good point on people, I've seen what they can do to the rare few of the "enlightened" that were hired @ the local AutoZone. Never saw people become so passive aggressive that fast due to the seemingly endless supply of Discustomers in my area
n91hj.jpg

I do wonder, Where does Maxlife stand in all of this, Since I and a lot of us might see it as the de facto replacement for *DEXRON!!!!! , Type F, Even Mercon.
I used Maxlife in a old THM350/700R4, And the Jatco 4F20E that's in our Van's, I really preferred the shift quality/feel and timing over Traditional Fresh "Dex-Merc" or Mercon or Type F. But I know your stance on "Unnecessary Synthetic'ness"
whistle.gif

I guess I'll take exception to your statement, but only as a matter of disucssion (not taken as a personal affront) ...

I have never said synthetics are wholly unnecessary. I have, on many occasions, said they are wasted. But I've also said that about dino fluids that are not fully utilized as well. Syns are "unnecessary" if the intended application has no significant demand outside "normal" use (uber-cold temps, super long OCIs).

I just used Maxlife ATF for service in both of my Grand Marquis' at the drain/fill cycle. But that is because both trannies are in good condition, and I intend to run a long OCI with the fluid. I think Maxlife is an excellent product and I've used it in many applications where former DEX/Merc and Merc V apps are noted as well as some "other" similar apps like Mitsu Diamond SPII, etc. I would not use it in Type F apps in transmissions as the FM add pack is all together different by my understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back